Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what will flex better...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dkodyssey, May 8, 2003.

1. dkodyssey

dkodyssey Registered Member

in the rear...a 4" shackle with stock springs or 4" lift springs?is there any other option in the front besides 4" lift springs?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    in the rear...a 4" shackle with stock springs or 4" lift springs?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The stock springs and ORD or Echo-bit shackle system.
    If you want a super flexy rear suspension - check out Marv Springer's "Springer suspension" with 57" Ford springs.

[ QUOTE ]
    is there any other option in the front besides 4" lift springs?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

4" shackle flip +rebuilt stock springs would be the best way to go. Stock springs are very flexy, if yours arent they are prolly just old/crusty. Take the whole spring pack apart, clean them up, repaint them, install new bushings and put UHMW-PE between the leaves and you'll be set.

j

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

For the rear, the shackle flip/stock spring will probably flex better than most aftermarket lift springs. You could probably find, or maybe have custom built, lift springs in the rear that were real soft and would flex as good or better but the shackle flip is cheaper and easier.

For the front, since the stock springs actually have an inverse arch the 4" lift springs are still relatively flat and therefore you really don't get any advantage to messing with the spring mounts like on the rear springs.

In general you want to keep the springs with as little arch as possible because with all other things equal the lesser arch will flex better.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is there any other option in the front besides 4" lift springs?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, custom link front end with King Coils...

Custom built leaf packs from National, Deaver or Alcan...

Air bags

No suspension

Rene

6. dkodyssey

dkodyssey Registered Member

UHMW-PE <-- what the heck is that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif?thanks everyone

7. jekbrown

UHMW-PE = Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly-ethylene. Its basically an uber-plastic that is a) super tough b) slick and c) won't cold flow. You can buy it from plastics suppliers, check ur yellow pages. It comes in 3" wide strips and for spring purposes 0.030-0.060" thick is best to use. I have a sheet of it between each leaf in my spring packs, full length, not just at the ends. No binding in my springs! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The stuff is easy to cut with good scissors (especially the 0.030 stuff) so cutting it down to fit on 2.5" wide springs is no big deal.

j

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I gotta get that stuff!!!

9. jekbrown

yeah, UHMWPE is good stuff. I'd recommend it to anyone that has old crusty springs or springs that seem to bind a lot. I woulda put it on my front springs too if they didnt have the annoying folded-over type of clamps on them. They are Rancho HDs, so its prolly a lost cause, but it would prolly help a lil! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j