Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What will happen if take off the EGR

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy'sjimmy, Jul 28, 2005.

1. jimmy'sjimmy

jimmy'sjimmy 1/2 ton status

Can i just romove the EGR valve, or does it have to be there, or will it make any diff at all? Mine feels like it gets stuck a when i push on it and the truck has been running kinda shi**y. When i pulled off the vacum connection the truck seemed to run much better, any ideas?

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I say if it runs better without it leave it off.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

A good EGR valve on the right port will not make it run bad .

I have a wee little 305 that moves me well enough with the emissions intact .

Clean it , make sure its on the proper port for your particular carb .

When was the last time you did a tune up , or replace the old vacuum lines , filters etc ?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you decide to remove it, you must use a plate to block off the ports under it.

It doesn't hurt power, so don't kid yourself into thinking you are getting any benefits from removing a *properly* operating EGR valve.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  5. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

From my experience, removing the EGR has made my vehicles run worse. If you do remove it, you might need to re-tune your carb. If the truck is fuel injected, don't remove it, but instead spend the $25 to replace it with a good one.
    It actually sounds like the one you have might have a vacuum leak in the diaphram.

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Put some BB's in the vacuum line from carb to EGR!! Thats the cheapest way. When I had my 81 K5, I only hooked up the EGR every 2 years.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had to ditch mine...

Both my van's 307 and my C10's 305 had EGR valves on them,and I had to remove them and put a block off plate over the "hole" so I could use my Edelbrock Performer carb on them...they both seem to run ok,but I have seen a few motors ping badly enough without one to damage pistons and valves. :eek1: :doah:

I'd prefer to have left them on,but I did not have a stock quadrajet carb to throw on the 79 C10-it had the "EST" distributor and electronic quadrajet on it (86 motor)and I put an older HEI in it,and did not want to run the electrified q-jet without it hooked up correctly..

As for the 73 307 in my van,I dont think the EGR did anything!--the passages under it were as clean as the day the intake was cast,like NO exhaust ever passed thru them!--I tried running a drill bit and a welding rod thru the passages,and if you ask me,it felt like they were never drilled all the way thru!..
    Since 1973 was the first year for an EGR valve,I wonder if they were actually functional ,or if they just threw them on for appearance sake?...anyhow,it did not ping,so its not on there anymore--I kept both EGR valves in case I want to(or HAVE to) put them back on to pass smog tests.. :crazy:

8. jimmy'sjimmy

jimmy'sjimmy 1/2 ton status

well one of the older mechanics at work looked at it and he told me to go ahead and clean it first then to buhy a new one if that doesnt work. Since its a TBI (sorry i forgot to mention that) will it be best to leave one on and not use a block off plate?

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    :confused: FYI, It is called Tampering, if you remove the egr valve, and is against the
    LAW.
    But so is speeding, and pleople do it evey day. :confused: