Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what will happen when i change gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by obijuan, Sep 10, 2006.

1. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

im going to go from 3.08 in my 85 k5 with a 700 and 35's to 3.73 or 4.11 with 35's. which will be better for my application?
    what exactly will i notice about doing the gear change? better/worse mileage more power delivery?
    it will be mostly a driver with some heavy duty mud sometimes its super dry here in texas most of the time. thanks for the help

2. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

i would go with 4.10s. if youre putting the tires on at the same time as the gear change you prob wont notice any more lowend, but if youve already got the tires on then youll notice some more lowend. as for mileage it prob wont change much maybe go down just a tad from stock gears and stock size tires. if you wanted a lil more lowend you could go with 4.56s but you will lose highway milage. ive got 4.56s with 35s and i like the lowend but i did sacrafice some highway mileage, never calculated it but probably lost 1-2 mpg on the highway didnt really notice any difference around town though

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

4.11's will work, but i kinda think you should go with 4.56's, as i currently have the 350/700r4/14bff with 4.11's,,,,it does ok, but likes to hunt between OD and 3rd while at highway speeds,,,

basically at 75mph, OD almost acts like it's bogging the motor down, but when it kicks into 3rd gear, it revs too high,,,does ok on flat gorund, but the slightest little hill and she's wanting to drop a gear....i don't like it

4. obijuan

my 700 does that too but not at 75 its more about 60 i hate that as well, will i have trouble getting into OD?

5. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

Don't bother with 3:73's. My truck with 35's and 4:11's and a th350 turns 2800 rpm @60 mph so you could probably use the 4:56's with your 700.

6. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

im about to do this in my truck, excpet ive got a 400a nd 33s. i should have my new axle in by the weekend so ill drag this thread up and let you know. :)

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

probably does this now because you have the 35's on there with the 3.08's, it's gonna be a dog,,,if for some reason, you could get that truck movin, like a smaller sports car or whatever, you could really get it going with that gear combo, but these trucks,,,,with the areodynamics of a brick just can't do it very easliy.

anyhoo, you COULD go with 4.11's, like i said, they are really doing me fine for what i use it for, but it does do some searchin with a slight hill, and towing ANYTHING is just a pain to do if you want to do anything over 65mph.

if i had the cash to do it all over again,,,i personally would go with 4.56's,,this also gives you the opportuinity to go with a slightly larger tire if you want to later on.

8. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

OK...So i'm getting ready to do a 3/4 ton swap and those axles have 4.10 gears. I'm running 33" tires. So this combo should be just about right then don't you all think?

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

cost is going to have an effect. some axles need a different carrier once you go above 4.10's. If you are already planning on putting in a locker then problem solved. now is the time more then ever for a locker. nothing like setting up gears twice.

10. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

I got 4.56's with 35s and a 700- I love it.

11. obijuan

"I got 4.56's with 35s and a 700- I love it."

does it hunt between 3rd and OD? im in the hill country so thats sort of a big factor in this decision. also i would like to find a set with 4.11 or 4.56 if that seems like a better option preferably dana 44 and 14sf i got the 44 lined up to buy but not the sf

12. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

i also have 4.56s, 35s, and 700 and love it too. doesnt hunt between gears and only downshifts if i go up a real long steep hill which is almost never unless im getting on the beltway, nice low end grunt, only thing is cruising at highway speed on flat ground i think the revs are a tad high which is slightly hurting my milage. knowing you live in hill country i would go 4.10s with 33s or 4.56s with 35s

13. obijuan

thanks for the help that really influences my decisions! 4.56 on a 44 would need a new carrier right? for everything for that matter?