Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Winch Would You Recomened ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I do want to get a winch in the future. Mostly I'll be on back trails up in the Black Hills National Forest. So for off roading in a mountinous forest area, what winch would you recomened for the front of a K5 ???? (I will have a custom bumper made with a winch mount) I've never had a winch befor, and need recomendations. Thanks everyone.

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

i have the warn 9000 reciever hitch mount about 4 years old still going strong no problems after i had it gone threw when i bought it used from a fire sale ILOVE IT !!! i cant tell ya how manytimes i have used it to save my ass or someone elses or even just for construction jobs lifting heavy loads on a block when there is no room to back up but if your gonna drag yourself across 18" or larger trees or rocks get a 12,000 with a tree safty strap and sinch block
    thats my $.02 worth

3. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Whatever you do, don't buy a Ramsey, I'm on my third one with Ramsey. Although they are all under warrantee, it's still not worth it.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am perfictly happy with my HS9500i. It has worked great for the 2years it has been on my K5.
    WARN Rulez!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I like the 8274. Its strong and has a fast line speed. That can save your but when things get ugly. Also, if you want to use rope instead of steel cable the rope won't insulate the motor (keep the heat in).

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

SO now that this 'winch rope' has been around for a little while has anyone heard of freying issues with it? Ya know like when winching at angles and the rope rubs on an rock or obstical inbetween the two rigs?
    Do you have to be extra carefull with it so it doesn't get cut? I know they make 'sleaves' for the rope, do thoes help... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Sorry for highjacking your post Z3PR /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've had mine for some time and I've had no trouble with it. Its looking a little ragged but its still works great. I just used it a few week ago to pull a tree out of my front yard. You do have to watch out for fraying but I cant remember when I've been in a situation where it was a concern. I have the slip cover also but have never had to use it.

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have the xd9,000i and love it if i had it to do over i would get the hs9,500i though only because it has a faster line speed then the xd9,000i /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif oh and just a fyi when it says hs9,500 and hs9,500i all the i means is that it has 125' of cable vs 100' of cable /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Sandman

I was under the impression that the "i" stood for integrated selenoid.

10. mudhog

you are right /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Sandman

I've gotta differ with you on this one. I could not find any relation between the "i" and 125 feet of cable. The x8000i comes with 100 feet of cable and the M12000 comes with 125 feet. All of the winches that have the integrated selenoids end with an "i" and all the winches that have the remote selenoid pack do not.

12. Sandman

I sent them an e-mail asking what it meant anyway 'cause the argument could go either way. I'll post it when I get a reply. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Sandman

I got a reply, They are closed untill the 6th of Jan. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, I have read that somewhere before also that the i means Integrated Solenoid. I side with ya on the "i" meaning.

15. mudhog

Re: What Winch Would You Recommend ???

i just looked at there catalog and you are right /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif here is what it says
    i-series for the i series warn engineers conceived a design that was compact,easy to mount and resistant to extreme weather conditions. the result of there endeavor is the advanced i-series. the i actually stands for "integrated," which engineers have done with the solenoids and controls. the i series integrates the control pack into the main winch body and protects it in an all metal housing. this makes installation easy, improves durability, and creates a sleek look without sacrificing power

however looking in the catalog the xd9,000i and the hs9,500i i series both come with 125' but the xd9,000 an hs9,500 both have 100'

16. Sandman

Re: What Winch Would You Recommend ???

The 8274 with 150 feet is the best bet anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes, when I orderd my winch the HS9500i has the intagrated slilly pack{framed over the top} and the HS9500 has the seporate silly pack/control plugin(mounted seporate from winch). Like if you were to use the 'hidden' type mount, you can mount the plugin pack say in your grill or wereever.

would help if I refreashed my screan befor clicking on reply /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

18. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

A Warn 8274 has saved me numerous times. Just depends on how bad you get stuck /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif .

Once my friend's Suburban got stuck and it took two 8274 winches to pull him out.

When I got my Crew Cab stuck, it took two 8274's, an M12000 and an 8,000 PTO to pull it out.
    I did notice how much slower the 12000 pulled in comparison to the 8274s, but it also just "seemed" so much more powerful. (probably because it is).

19. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I got to go 8274. Mine has been on Butch for 25yrs and still pulls like there is no tomorrow. I have put the rope on it and really like it. Took 15lbs off the weight of the winch as well. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif They are big and pricey, but they are fast, strong and carry 150' of cable.
    If I did not have it I would go with the HS9500I. Fox has one and it is almost as fast as my 8274, It is light and fits in small places.

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what broke?
    you cant leave that kind of post with no facts.