Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what winches are you guys using?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yunit, Apr 6, 2002.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Getting ready to buy a winch and have not made a final decision on which one to get, just wondering what other people are using and how they feel about their winch. Thanks, Pete.

2. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

i've got a warn 10,000

3. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

some people might say that it's too small, but I use a Warn xd9000i. I haven't run into any problems with it either.

ric

4. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I dont use a winch I use a heavy duty cable wrapped around my frame then spliced on logging chain then tow hooks. That way I can tow things in 4 low and it doesnt strain as much on the rear end it levels the pull out more than a plain chain. I would get a winch but there too pricy and I would screw it up too fast.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Warn 12000

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ramsey Platinum 9500.

Pros (so-far)
    It fitts between the frame rails with a little notch cut out on the motor side as needed to clear.
    Clutch engages rotationaly with the gear-case. Makes it easy to fab up linkage as needed, to clear the tube bumper.
    I can allways double back if I need more power to pull.

Cons (so-far)
    Way too much cable (150 feet of it). The cable will bind between the drum and the solinoid pack houseing, possibly breaking the pack if your not keeping an eye on it.
    Sooner or latter, I'll cut 50 feet of cable out, that should increase my clearance and also increase my line-pull, as it will now be pulling with fewer wraps on the drum.

No tail use yet, the Jimmys still being built.
    I have however used the winch quit a-bit, to winch the Jimmy into and out of my garage to make room for side-jobs, some of which needed to be winched into the garage too.
    /forums/images/icons/smile.gif -

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am running the warn xd9,000i multi-mount setup and wish i would have goten the hs9,500i instead the reason being is the hs9,500i is faster /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I'm using the warn HS9500. No problems so far. Works much faster than the warn x8000i that I was using.

9. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    HS95i !!!!

You can't beat it!

I do think I may get a bigger winch someday only because bigger is always better, but I've never had a problem with my winch. I've been in mud upto the bumpers and still pulled the truck out straight line with only about 75' out. I've been hill top hero, you name it, its done it.

I love it and stongly suggest it.

Corey
    88K5

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Warn M12000............cuz you can never have enough power.

11. Little Giant

Little Giant Registered Member

HS9500i...with the exception of not enough room around the spool for the amount of line it came with it, I've been happy with it. Haven't had to deal with a sidehill pull yet, but when the day comes I'll have to keep respooling the line to get it from bunching up on one side and jamming in with the bumper of solenoid pack.

It sounds like this a problem with other brands as well though.

12. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I know donimator has a 8,000 and we did some pulling at reiterpit, i asked him how he liked the 8000 warn, he said for the price he paid, it's done him great! he has a truck, but it is big...