Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would 10 grand buy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fulltopblazer, Aug 28, 2002.

1. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I've been tossing this idea for a while now and I think my banker would go for it. I've been thinking about borrowing 10 grand against my 94 jimmy that I own free and clear. I'm wandering what all I could do to my 74 blazer with that money. This would be the easiest way to buy some of those high dollar parts. I can afford a couple hundred dollars a month buy not a thousand a month and I'm not disapline enough to save money up to buy some thing. So I'm thinking something like a d60 with gears and locker gears and locker for my 14b, 39.5 boggers already have the wheels, crossover steering w/rock ram, and a doubler setup or an atlas II, and drive lines. Do you think I can do all this with this amount of money if I was real carefull on spending and all the labor myself?

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If I had 10 grand to dump into my blazer, I'd trade my 4" lift for a 2", buy mog axles and fab up a way to drop them in, buy 42" TSLs, coilovers in front, NP465 with a NP205 case and 3:1 gears, drivelines from Jess, and hop my motor up to about 300 hp. Yeah what a dream! Thanks. LOL

3. fulltopblazer

I don't know if you could do that with 10 grand. I was lookind at some stuff about mog axles and by the time you convert everything you would have 10 grand just in axles.

4. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

get rid of all the rust! i would probably sell my 74 and buy another one with a much better body, for 10k i dont think shipping would be a big deal.

5. fulltopblazer

Believe it or not my tub has no rust what little was in the fender I cut out when I trimmed them for the tires there is a little in the rockers but not enough to worry about it will probably be cut out when I do the sliders.

6. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

mine looks like it belonged to the bondo company while they were trying to perfect their product. you can see the spots of bondo b/c all the metal around it is rusted. i need a whole new body. but i love the full convertible.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

well, i'd leave mine drum brakes...for the time being.

8. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

I think you have a pretty good plan there. You should be able to get your axles and tires with some cash to spare.

If your going to do it, you might as well do it right the first time.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hell for that much i could find me another blazer in good shape..(body) that was already lifted and everything..

Bryan

10. fulltopblazer

My blazer already has a 6" lift 3/4 ton front and 14 bolt with disk in tha rear and shackle flip. I also already have a set of 15x14" 8 lug wheels. It also already has a vortec 350. I've been working on this blazer for about 2 years now I'm just tired of nickle and dimeing everythig. I'm ready to do the hard core stuff. All at one time instead of dragging everything out.

11. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I would like to see Mog axles in a true Blazer with just 2 inches of lift.

Ken H.

12. BoyNamedSue

BoyNamedSue Registered Member

There's one problem you might run in to. With 10K sitting around burning a hole in your pocket, you'll be running short on patience. Don't let someone rape you on a deal.

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You dont think it'd work? From what i've seen, mog axles are not top loaders like rockwells, they have 4" of lift in their outers. So I was thinking to drop my susp from 5" to 2" and run the mogs for 6" total. What am I missing?

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

btw dude, are you sure you want to get in major debt over toys to go on a toy? Why not just start accumulating parts as you find them and can afford them, and then down the road in say a year or two, swap it all in? I'm just saying that because I hate being in debt to anyone or paying interest on anything. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

15. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

You are missing nothing. I was thinking Rockwells. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Sorry.

But, I seem to remember Ryeguy stationg he had to have the lift so the Mog axles will fit. Now, I need to know!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I would liek to go mogs myself.... someday.

Am I wrong?

Ken H.

16. fulltopblazer

Thats what I've trying to do for the past 2 yrs. All I have left is the more high dollar parts and its hard to save a couple hundred bucks a month for those high dollar parts. But I see where your coming from I sure enjoy not having the payment

17. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

$10k.... hmmm

Dana 60 front and rear with matched gears, just buy a set out of a K30 and rebuild them. Sorry I can't for me personally justify the cost of mog, boyce, dynatac or any of these axle places if you have other plans and don't have a ton of cash just laying around to spare....
    Crossover steering
    Cage
    Bumpers
    Winch
    Then do whatever else appeals to you for what you plan to do (redo insides, drivetrain, etc...). That's just me though and what I like... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Or buy someone's tricked out one ton Blazer with a TPI406 motor for that $10K, sell your's and call it good............... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Hmm, like mine!

19. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

you can buy a lot of parts as everyone said.if i had 10 grand (dreaming of course) i could finish my truck and probably do anether one.always gottahave a project. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

20. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

10 Grand would buy my BLazer. I found a Tub which I will build into a rock rig.