Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would a late 70s I6 pickup have in it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Jun 7, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the opportunity to pick up a running and driving late 70s 1/2 ton pickup with a plow on it. Whoever originally owned it supposedly regeared it and I'm interested in the axles (no idea what gear, but as long as it's a 10/12 bolt combo and 3.73s or better I'm interested). I'd be buying it from the son of the guy who originally bought it in the long-long ago.

It has an inline 6 in it (I assume 250). It has a 3 on the tree. I have no idea what transmission this would be. I also have no idea what transfer case and what spline count it would be.

I haven't seen it yet. It's a bit of a drive away but I can probably get it for $50-75.

Like I said, I'm mostly interested in the axles. Other than that, I'm mostly interested in what it would have for a transfer case/spline count. Is the starter the same one used on a V8? What about the bellhousing?

2. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

maybe 235???

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Should have a 250 in it as you said .
    By the late seventy's I believe GM stopped using the Dana 20 and that would mean that the T-case should be a 205 corse spline mated to the three speed tranny.
    Tom
    P.S. I just re-read the last part of your post - yes the starter should be the same and the bellhousing is the same as a SBC as well.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

On my 70, the 6 cyl starter bolts are horizontal, not vertical like a V8. The bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as a small block. Look at the side covers on the engine. If they are around 6" tall, it is a 292, if like 4" then it is a 250, if original .

5. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

I second that, mine ended up being a 292.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The starter bolts being horizontal or vertical has to do with if the bell housing is a cast iron truck version ( 1972 and older ) or an aluminium truck bell ( 1973 on up ). The iron bell uses three bolts that thread into, or through, the bell itself while the aluminium bell has no provision for that type of mount so the starter bolts to the actual engine block.In-line six cylinder or V-8 makes no difference to the bell housing.
    HTH , Tom

7. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Yep, my '71 is a 292 as well. Was my Grandad's. Cool old trucks.