Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would be the best option if I had

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NightRider, Oct 20, 2002.

1. NightRider

NightRider 1/2 ton status

an ORD 4" shackle flip and wanted to get the tuff country 6" springs/shocks/arm in the front. what should I do to get the other 2" in the rear? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

The best would be 2" rear springs. You could save some money with 2-3" blocks (depending on the sag or your rear springs), but it would not be as ideal.

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

How about a longer shackle and an ORD 1" zero rate. That's what I'm planning.

tom

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That would work if there is an after market longer shakkle.
    Does anyone know of a rear longer shackle for GM?
    If you can find one I would do that with the zero rates.

5. NightRider

NightRider 1/2 ton status

if ne one knows of longer shackles, lemme know plz! thx for info guys. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

The zero rate would be fine, but the longer shackle is a BAD idea. With the shackle flip, you will move the rear spring eye down, causing the pinion to point up. If you run a longer shackle, it will cause the pinion to point up even more. If you do that you'll wind up with way too much pinion angle. 2" blocks would be a better option. Another option would be a long add a leaf and the zero rate.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I know about pinion angle issues, I know how my geometry works, and I know that in compression there will be more side stress on the shakle and I can reinforce that. I was just trying to find one that is already made so I can work with it, instead of fabing it from scratch. Thanks for the info though, I am sure some people here don't realize that.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Do what you want to, but rest assured that you will be sorry if you use the shackle flip AND longer shackles. I have 8" of lift and the shackle flip alone (non tapered 4" blocks, factory height springs) point my pinion at the perfect angle for a CV driveshaft. Ideally, my pinion would point down more.

9. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    You can get the extended shackles from the lo-rider club.Summit sells them about $40 bucks,4" longer the stock.I've seen them from "desert steel","summit", and "bell" companies.Of course you will need to do a shackle flip to go with the extended shackles.I have'nt done this yet,trying to toy with an idea of double rear shackles! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have already a design for the double shackles, and I have an example on a toyota with chevy springs. That is even worse than the long shackle with the flip.
    Still I wouldn't worry much because of my driving style.
    I think all these options would be better than this jeep I saw in fourwheeler a couple of years ago with no shackle in the back, that limited his dropp to the extended length of the shock, it was no highway racer but it worked on the trails.