Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would cause a t-case to "slip"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Feb 7, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

What would cause a t-case to \"slip\"

Well I think my t-case is "slipping"...I will be driving alongin 2 HI and hit a large bump such as railroad track and get this fast grinding/clicking sound... and when I step on the gas, there is NO power going to the wheels...when I rool to a stop and try to put the tranny in PARK, it grinds as well unless I really force it into park. When I start back up, the truck doesn't want to move in 2Hi or 4 Hi...but if I put the tranny in Park and shift the case to 4Lo, then try to go, it works again in all the t-case ranges...what gives...any help would be great...

Thanks a bunch gang...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Re: What would cause a t-case to \"slip\"

what xcase model is it?? np205/203/208etc etc.

anyhow it could be that the lever is hitting your cab and puting it into neutral. the noise the trany makes when you put it in park sould like when i put my xcase and neutral and tranny on park when the engine is running. do you have a body lift???

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

3. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

It definatly sounds like you T-Case linkage is not adjusted properly. When I had a th700/208, I had about the same stuff happen. I could'n get it to stay in 4-hi to save my life. It just took a lot of trial and error to get it right.

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>

4. fortcollinsram

yeah, it's a 208...no body lift but the case is dropped...how do you go about adjusting the linkage...I read the Haynes manual on this and still can't figure it out... Thanks guys... Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I am afraid its worst than adjusting linkage...how many miles on the t-case? You can check the linkage but that is the exact same noise and griding and shifting i would have to do to mine when it went bad. Mine would jump out of 2hi just from highway vibes.

I think its the range selector fork inside the t-case I got mine from GM for $70 somethign dollars while I was at it I bought a rebuild kit for $120 so I'd never have to dig into again in the near future. The only real way to find out is to drop the t-case and pull it apart...Just take your time and keep a torque wrench handy the hanes manual even has some decent diagrams otherwise your GM dealer can print out a complete breakdown of the 208 for you. Best of luck and I'd almost put money on my bet :)

Definately a pavement pounder...with the caveman clutch

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

6. fortcollinsram

There are about 136,000 miles on the t-case...I already was planning on a rebuild b/c it is leaking pretty good you fo the front output...so II bought a t-case rebuild kit that includes all the bearings and such off of e-bay... I will see what else needs replaced when I dig into it... thanks for the help and any more ideas/hints would be greatly appreciated...

Chris

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Seeing the mileage then I'd even more suspect the range selector fork. I remember when i first started having my problems thats the first place people pointed me. Seems to be a common problem on NP208's with higher mileage.
    (UPDATE: If you do replace the range selector fork just remember those plastic coverings on the three contact points of the fork are meant to be there they are bushings I thought that they were to protect the metal surface below and in term had to break down the t-case not long after reassembling)

Definately a pavement pounder...with the caveman clutch

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BowtieBlazer on 02/07/02 01:17 PM.</FONT></P>

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

What about the bushing on the fork? 208's eat them up fast.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Try the linkage adjustment first, if that doesn't fix it, its probably the range fork. I've had to do it a few times in mine (I actually carry a spare now). From what I can tell, the leading cause for blowing the range fork is improper shifter linkage adjustment. Mine blew a week after I bought the truck. Then again a year later after I lifted it, I dropped the t-case and didn't adjust the linkage. It blew a third time after I got high centered on the crossmember and bent it (wasn't paying attention coming over Jaws 1 coming down Mt. Blanca). Proper linkage adjustment is critical w/the 208, if its off, there is constant pressure on the range fork, which wears it quickly. One thing that I did to help prevent future failure was to remove the gate on the shifter. The best solution would be to mount the shifter to the case, like the older units.

The place I always buy them is called A-1 transmissions (I think), they're off 8th Ave and I-25 in Denver (they face the highway, right next to an Armored car place). They used to be $35 (w/pads), the last one I bought was $50 a few years ago.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

there is constant pressure on the range fork, which wears it quickly.

<hr></blockquote>

Note that this is also exactly the reason to NEVER use the bungee-cord-method of keeping the t-case in gear.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

11. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

how can u adjust the linkage on the 208? mine is doing the same thing, but my t-case is almost new