Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would cause gas in your oil???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Jun 30, 2004.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i already changed the fuel pump a couple month's ago but when i changed the oil today it still smelled like gas.even the cap on the valve cover smelled like gas.the reason i changed the fuel pump was the gas in the tank was old and i wanted to burn some fresh gas,so i filled a coffee can and stuck the pickup line from the tank in the can and it sucked it dry in seconds.so i figured the seal was blown in the pump. BUT it's still doing it. what else could cause it??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

bad rings will let fuel into the crankcase and give you a gas smell.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, boggerless is a NEWBIE /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Fuel injection, carb?? That might help with the diagnosis.

Need more input. More input!!

/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. boggerless

maybe i should have said it was a new crate engine. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif it's a 350. i know that doesn;t rule out the rings but . /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. boggerless

quit making fun of me you big meeeny. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif it has a carter afb on it. (oh and by the way i have two dip sticks now). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i'm assuming your using a mechanical pump. i'm preaty sure that there is a return line coming off the pump did you have this line routed into the can aswell /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif if you did't your fuel is all over the ground and it probably wouldn't take long to pump all the gas out /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

as for the gas in the oil have you been flooding the motor alot? if it's a brand new motor that hasen't been running or broke in the rings might not be seated yet and if you have been flooding it trying to get it running there's a chance the gas could squeeze by the rings /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    maby that'll help /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. boggerless

i think your right,the engine has about 6 real miles on it.and the timing was of so i used gas to get it to start.it's turn key now ,but untill i found out the rotor was pointing at the #1 piston and not #1 on the cap,i was hard to start.(so the other pump might still be good /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

keep the other pump as a spare, you'll need it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

i was working on a buddies truck, changed the oil 2 days before, ran great, had great oil pressure. put a remaned edelbrock 750 carb on it, it ran like crap, spewed gas out the exaust, checked the oil was 1 quart down and was very gassy (cam2). pulled the carb and it was just dumping the gas down into the motor. put the old carb back on and left it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

is it running rich? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Me no meany. Me just tryin to hep. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

But, I think the goodly amounts of gas bein applied coupled with the brand spankin new motor is prolly the culprit as well.

Change the oil and keep an eye/nose on it and see what develops. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. boggerless

WHAT'S UP TJ? yea,it has been running a little rich,so i pulled off the air cleaner to mess with the air/fuel screws and i found the choke half closed(it's manual). the cable is loose as hell.if the carb was dumping wouldn't it flood or kill the engine??? it idles pretty smooth. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. boggerless

i know your justhorsinaround(YUK YUK). like tj said i was a little worried about dumping,the carb came from a friend that seems to have that problem. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. big83chevy4x4

my friends would idle fine but when full throtle, it was alot of black smoke from the exhaust, plus liquidy film in the pipe that smelled like cam 2

14. boggerless

my dad gave me two Q jets,so i'll get one of those going. i have never floored it so... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My vote is too rich. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

16. big83chevy4x4

yea id use one of the q jets, they'd work better.

did you get my PM?
    get that thing going for this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. boggerless

yea,i can't respond till tommorow??? silver lake sounds cool.i'll know more friday,if i can go or when i can go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifi can't wait to wheel with you again.this time with JR. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif alright bro i have to get up at five tommorow,i'll call you tommorow. thanks everyone daryl /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Did you pre-oil the engine prior to firing it and adjusting the timing ? The first running of a crate motor is the most critical. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

19. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

This reminda me of a fun and just barely related story. I used to have an 81 Lincoln which had the fuel injected 302. One day I was driving it and it started running really bad. My pop in law decided to drive it up the mountain 25 miles to my wifes uncles garage. After a couple engine stalls and 2 hours of driving 25mph we got there and parked it. That night her uncle calls us to tell us the engine and fuel injection system are pretty much shot. The bosch fuel injection system uses a vecuum run fuel pressure regulator. The diaphram in the fuel regulator tore causing the fuel pump to pump fuel directly into the intake vacuum source and into the block. I guess he said the motor was very close to hydraulic lock and the oil was thinned to water consistency from the gas. 1 good backfire could have blown it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I guess fuel got sucked through the vacuul lines killing most of the efi sensors. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

20. boggerless

yea,i run the drill for about 5 minutes, and i've ran it for awhile a few times. :grin.the engine that is. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif