Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would cause stumbling in third gear....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

84 K5, manual tranny. Granny gear plus 3. 1st and 2nd are now ok, shift to 3rd and step on it and it stumbles until I pick up more speed then it smooths out. Bad wires? Cap?Rotor? Timing? Had the timing at 10 degrees before and put it back to 4 degrees and the stumbling that I had in 2nd gear is gone. Now 3rd is still a problem.
    Thanks!!
    It's FREEZING in South Korea! It's so cold that even the ice has ice!

2. big k5

big k5 Registered Member

?????? good question I have an 84k5 4spd just like you.I have my timing set @ 4 degrees & I have a stumble in 2nd gear when its close to red line I was goimg to try the timing at 10 degrees,but if it didn't work for you maybe I won't.
    I have all new plugs,wires,ect.I even have a brand new electronic dist. I have my choke wired completly open I don't know if that could cause the problem or not. I wish I could help you. Bruce

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I would replace the cap/rotor (cheap), spray the wires with some water or replace, inspect the plugs and the gaps, and put the timing into specs. Then go from there.