Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would cause the flywheel to be too far from the starter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Nov 7, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

The teeth on my starter don't seem to be coming in contact with the flywheel. I just got my new tranny in, it would start up just fine before but now when I try to start it, sounds kinda bad down in the flywheel area. It won't start up at all.

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

GM starters are often installed with a shim or two between the starter and the block. Swing by a wrecking yard that does GM products - they'll have LOTS. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

there is really no reason that it should not be working, unless whom ever put it in A: did not put the starter shims back in (if there where any) or B: did not get the torque converter back it to the bellhousing all the way...

hope this helps

4. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Thanks guy. There weren't any shims before and it was workin just fine. I'll just let somebody try to start it tomorrow and be underneath the truck to see if the starter needs shims or see if I can see anything wrong with it.

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

before you do that try to turn the flywheel with a screwdriver with the starter off of the truck,if it won't turn or is real hard to that is your problem. you will probably need to slide the tranny back a little to get it to lock in to place there should be two clicks when you turn and push at the same time. before it will seat...

some one correct me if it does not make since

6. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

lol it's hard for me to turn the flywheel even when the torque converter isn't bolted to it. I made certain that I installed the converter right this time, that was my mistake the first time I installed the tranny. Thanks again

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sometimes you just have to try another nose, right now a friend's boss's 79 4x4 has problem of teeth only engaging halfway and there is no way to make the starter gear be any closer to the flexplate teeth because there are no shims to remove, his only option really is to remove material from the starter nose or try another one. you would be surprised at the differences that can exist from one nose of same design, to another one

good luck

8. 75blazer454

75blazer454 Registered Member

i have the same problem. tryed everything!! nothing solved my problem.. i think maybe a gm starter is the way to go??

sorry for my bad english /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

9. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think you use half shims on the outboard bolt to move the starter closer, and full shims on both bolts to move the starter farther away.

10. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay thanks guys I figured out what the problem was, turned out to be something completely different. Thanks for helpin and best of luck to those with the same problem.

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Glad you got it fixed. I was going to suggest that if you changed the starter that maybe you got the wrong starter for it. There are (2) different starters for (2) different sized flexplates. Doesn't matter now that you have it fixed but you should let us all know what it was so that maybe it will help others with the same problem.

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Is it the same block, starter, and flexplate or not? If it's a different starter but the original flexplate and block chances are either it needs shims or you got the wrong starter. There are three different nosecones that I've seen.

13. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I got under there and had a buddy try to crank it over while I was watching. It jumped out and was spinning the flywheel/flexplate. I'm embarrased to say that the reason it wouldn't start was because I hadn't run a hot wire to the MSD box. I hate it when I do stupid things like that.

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Now doesn't that make you want to kick yourself in the butt? I've done equally stupid things.

Back when I was running boxless on my truck I was wiring up some el-cheapo taillights. I wired everything up how I thought it should work which took ~15 minutes by the time I bolted them on and soldered up some pigtails. Everything worked except for the turn signals. After an hour of pissing around with it with a test light I called my Dad. Another hour of pissing around with it. Then it hit me. I FORGOT THE TURN SIGNALS ONLY WORK WITH THE KEY IN THE ON POSITION. Taillights, hazards, and brake lights all work with the key in the ACC position. He didn't think I'd do something that stupid. He made fun of me after that for doing everything including fuses, testing the switch, and changing the flasher. I still get made fun of for doing that. "You're going to make one hell of a Electrical 'Enjinmanear'."

doh.

15. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

Like driney said you need half shims on the outside bolt to tip the starter in closer. My truck is the same way, I needed Four half shims to get my starter "closer".

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Check out my post in the garage, I had a similar problem.