Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would have you done.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The man he hit, Officer Paul Lawson, is recovering but he might have suffered permanent damage from his injuries.

Officer Lawson was working a traffic detail in the Old Market when he tried to stop a van from leaving the area.

Lawson ended up holding onto the van as it swerved three times trying to knock him off.

County Attorney Stu Dornan says, "Three separate attempts were made to intentionally kill the officer."

Witnesses tell police that the driver swerved into or toward three objects trying to get Lawson off his van. Lawson finally fell off after the van smashed into a parked truck.

The suspect fled but police later noticed the van back in the Old Market and the chase ensued, culminating in Lange's arrest.

Lange was charged with Second Degree Attempted Murder, a charge the defense wanted reduced, but Judge Jeffrey Marcuzzo kept the original charge and ordered Lange to district court for trial.

Officer Lawson's injuries are more serious than first thought. He had swelling of the brain and a possible concussion. Two bones in his leg were broken, as were two or three ribs. Lawson also suffered several cuts and bruises.

In court on Monday, prosecutors told the judge that Lawson would need another three to four months of therapy before doctors can determine to full extent of his injuries.

[/ QUOTE ](Note; the officer was on foot patrole) If I was that officer, I would have let go, got the plate # and let another unit pull him over. I respect the officer for doing his job, but it's not worth getting messed up over.

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I would have got the plate and called in that and a description. The only time I could see hanging onto a van or anything is say if a kid (or someone in direct danger)was in there and this person was some psycho and you didn't have time to call in because you had zero idea wtf this person would do to them.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, what Steph said. I don't know how much paperwork officers have to file after taking a couple shots, but depending on the situation, I might've deemed deadly force necessary and shot before hanging on to the point of being near-killed.

It would be interesting to know why the officer felt the need to hang on to this pursuit. THe van returned to the place later, so maybe the officer had good reason to beleive there was some kind of abduction occuring or about to occur.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, what Steph said. I don't know how much paperwork officers have to file after taking a couple shots, but depending on the situation, I might've deemed deadly force necessary and shot before hanging on to the point of being near-killed.

It would be interesting to know why the officer felt the need to hang on to this pursuit. THe van returned to the place later, so maybe the officer had good reason to beleive there was some kind of abduction occuring or about to occur.

[/ QUOTE ] I can't see a abduction in the old market (Old market is a place where alot of people hang out. Lots of bars, restronts, specilaty stores, ...ect.) most comman thing people get ticketed for in the old market is loud music, failure to use turn signals, ...ect., petty stuff. Traffic moves at about 5 to 10 mph through there.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

First intentional swereve to kock me off would and I start emptying my sidearm into the van

6. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

should've, would've, could've. There's a million possibilites why that officer felt he needed to hang on to that van. I'm guessing it would be difficult to hang on to a moving van, unholster an fire though.

Sometimes when your adrenaline kicks in full gear you dont always do the "smart" thing to do the right thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    First intentional swereve to kock me off would and I start emptying my sidearm into the van

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an officer on trial right now in my area for fatally shooting a suspect at a Walgreens drivethrough. Walgreens called the police after the suspect attempted to pass a forged prescription, the motorcycle cop was heading home after his shift and decided to take it since he was near by. He parked his police cycle in front of the suspects car, ran her drivers license and car plate and walked back up to her car window when she pulled put the keys in the ignition, started the car, drove forward knocking over the cycle and then turned the wheel into the officer who is yelling STOP, STOP, STOP. He shot her and is on trail right now. The county says he shot her from behind, he says he was trying to get out of the way the would have been run over if he hadnt used deadly force. Anyway, its not as cut and dried as emptying your weapon into a car that attempts to knock you off. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I love playing monday morning quarterback... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Is it possible he had his hand 'trapped' or somehow caught and couldn't let go? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Rene

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it possible he had his hand 'trapped' or somehow caught and couldn't let go? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]Possible but doubtfull. I guess knowing where it happened and the attitude of most officers on foot patrole in that area makes me bias. The Old Market of Omaha, Ne. (News taken from Omaha news) is a high dollor area, and home to the freaks (Back in the 80's alot of punk rocker hung out there, now it's the alturnitive croud, and wantabe hippies). Some bussiness owners (One being the mayor of Omaha) don't like these kids (Use the word "kids" loosely, cause some of these people are in thier 40's now) handing out down there. There never was a major police presence till the mayor opened a bussiness down there. For years and years these kids sat around on the planters talking or what not. A few years back the police started targeting this group. Looking for anything they could too run them out of there. Keep in mind, if a group of cleen cut looking people do the same thing(s), the police ignors them. I personally belive this is at the order of the mayor. But anyways, it seams most officers assigned to the old market tend too be over zelious. Well, that's how it seamed to me when I moved from Omaha. And that's why I stopped going down to the old market when I did live there.

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like the van driver was much more over zealous than the police officer since the van driver attempted to kill the cop just because he didnt feel like talking to the cop. He obviously had something to hide, why else run and try to kill the cop?

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds to me like the van driver was much more over zealous than the police officer since the van driver attempted to kill the cop just because he didnt feel like talking to the cop. He obviously had something to hide, why else run and try to kill the cop?

[/ QUOTE ]I agree the guy had something too hide, my thinking is he had a warrent, or something in the van. Like I said, I'm probley bias because I know the place where it happened, and know what go's on there. I know how traffic moves through there, very heavy traffic, max speed of 5 to 10 mph, or you'd end up running into the back of another car, lots of stop and go, 4 way stop signs on every cornner. Usely takes 5 to 10 minnuts to go 3 blocks.