Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would i have to do to run TPI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Mar 20, 2005.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

hi was just wondering what i would all need to do to my 89 blazer to run a tuned port injection system ive heard that one of the best ways about doing it it to buy a used gm car with it and just swap what you need, also i heard that edelbrock sells a kit. i have a fresh rebuilt 350 with the stock tbi on it and i do alot of wheeling with my truck but its also a daily driver for me
    thanks for any help

:k5:

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Try a search. There is alot of info on TPI swaps on here. I did one personally about 1.5yrs ago.

Harley

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep Daily Driven rock crawler here as well.. I swapped to TPI about a year ago. There a lots of posts around here about tpi if you search around you'll find a lot of information..
    Edelbrock pro flo EFI is a different setup than TPI but still MPFI.
    Chances are your engine has pre 87 heads, so you'd need an '86 tpi manifold, or if you got a 87-92 setup you'd have to have a machine shop modify the center 4 bolt holes on the manifold so it will bolt up to your heads.
    I convereted mine from MAF to speed density so dirt and vibration won't be killing my MAF when i go wheeling especially in the sand dunes.
    The difference between a stock harness and an aftermarket harness is probably the difference between spending a week or two swapping it over, and with a nice aftermarket harness, swapping to tpi in a weekend like i did.
    This thing runs awsome on any angle, has more tq, hp, and throttle response than ever before, and it gets a few more MPG. :cool1:
    I went with Street and performance for my wiring harness and custom eprom.

4. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Have you thought about these systems yet?......http://www.firstinjections.com/
    I am looking at using one of these on my rebuild ('90 K5). I have heard some members on this forum say that a TPI system off an older Vette/Camaro will only support up to about 300 hp. I don't know if that is true or not just what some of these guys are saying. I have no first hand experience. This "first injections" system will support up to 500 hp. I have been emailing a guy at this company and he is very helpful. Send him an email with any questions you have and he will answer. I also got in contact with someone who has installed one of these systems in an older Corvette and he said it was very easy. I would be interested in hearing some CK5er's opinions on this system.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd convert my TBI harness over to TPI, but thats me. Reference to that in a few posts I'm sure.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

It will bolt up to an 89. Even all the sensors are the same. You just need to use the TPI wiring harness because of the 6 extra injectors. You really wont notice any difference going from a stock motor with TBI to a stock motor with TPI.