Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would make a trialer tire severlly cupped??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87GMCJimmy, Aug 25, 2002.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I was outside checking the boat out for my yearly Lake Powell trip and noticed that one tire is severlly cupped and needs replacement. This sucks b/c I just replaced both tires about 2 years ago and the other tire is in perfect condition. The tire might have 1000-1500 miles on it. I check the tire pressure every time that I take the boat out and never have needed to add more than a pound or 2 of air. Could this be a defect or maybe a problem with the trailer? Could this happen if the tire was out a balance? Any ideas before I go ranting into big-o ( this is where I bought the tires but it is not a big-o brand).

Later
    Mike

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Could be alot of things. Bad bushings causing the springs to swing a little, kinda an out of alignment problem. I think inflation issues are more of a tread wear indicator. Dunno if you have shocks on your trailer, I know bad shocks cause cupping. Remember, those guys are salesmen. 1000 miles on a tire isn't alot for problems like that. Thats what, 2 trips to Lake Foul and back from Pheonix? Put the blame on them without blaming them. They'll make it better for you. They want you to come back.

3. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

cupped as in wear or shape? wear is maybe springs wayyyy off of alignment ( been there ), or maybe a bad radial belt in tire .

shape only- a broken radial belt.

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

wheel bearings are too loose. Jack up the trailer, get to the wheel bearings, repack them, put them back on, tighten them to 45 ft lbs, back them off and put the nut back on as tight as you can with your hand. put the cotter pin back in and Ciao'.

John

5. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Bingo..... Give the man a beer!

Pulled the buddy bearing and the nut was loose. At first I thought that it was just the lock nut but there isn't a lock nut on this hub. I also found that the inner seal was leaking into the brakes. The bearings look good, at one thing is going for me. So, off to the store for some grease, seals, and new brake shoes.

Thanks!
    Mike

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Even I get to be correct once in a while, what a great country!!

John