Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would trash a front drive shaft in less than a year?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddin4fun, Aug 26, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've been looking for a pop sound when I back up. While doing that, I found that you can grab my front drive shaft and wiggle it back and forth a bunch. It seems to be loose where (I don't have the technical word for it) it can slide in and out? Ya know, that part by the grease zert.
    I haven't wheeled it hard...I've kept it greased up. The u-joints are fine. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Do you have any driveline vibration?

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Where did you get the shaft? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I mean where did you buy it? Maybe water got into the joint or its just a defective slip joint. Does it spin when in two wheel drive only? Is it balanced?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if your truck is part time then the front shaft should not be under any load to create that noise. If your truck is still fulltime then it could be that or it could be a loose chain. If your full time then get the truck on a fairly steep street. Put it in low (not lock). Floor it. If the chain is real loose you will her a pop/bang as it jumps a tooth on the gears. About a $125 dollars for new chain and gaskets set and a whole lot of cussing. It can be done in the truck but you do have to pull the chain section off the reduction box.
    If it's a converted 203 then I would be more inclined to think it's a loose part time kit making the noise. Choke the wheels, put tranny or case in N. Grab the output shaft on the case and pull in and out on it. If you can SEE it move it has too much lash and needs a shim added. If you just feel it but cant really tell with your eyes that it moved then it's probably ok. If you have a dial gage the end play should be about 2 thousandths.

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I think you're talking about the splined section of the shaft right? The stock shafts is suppose to have some "wiggle" room in there, but not a lot. As long as it's not spinning inside there, it should be fine. Maybe remove the shaft from the yoke (down at the axle), and remove the slip part and check out the splines to see if they're still good...But like Grim said, this shouldn't have anything to do with a popping sound you're getting...
    Boss

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure of the popping sound, as it could be lots of things, but it sounds as if your slip YOKE (edit: it should be JOINT rather than YOKE) on the front driveshaft has worn splines. If you let it go too long, they will strip when you need it most (i.e. stuck in 4WD). I would pull the shaft and have it resplined as I am going to do on my 78 (with wobbly shaft at the splines). The guy I talked to who is doing it, said most GM's came through with fine splines (for more contact area) on the front driveshaft slip joint, but he replaces those with a Spicer coarse spline setup. The coarse splines allows it to have a little wear with less slop and less chance of stripping the splines as they wear. Hope this helps.

7. muddin4fun

Yeah, it's converted to part time. While I was under there I was just messing around after I gave up temporarily on what was causing the bang.
    I'll sheck it out tonight. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Boss...how much play should it have?

And no vibrations when I'm in 2wd or 4wd. I did do a mud bog back in march so that might have been when it got dirty. Usually I don't do mud and that was the only mud I've really done with that drive shaft. I wouldn't think that 5 months after the drive shaft would be messed up.../forums/images/icons/confused.gif

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I think I was told at one time that you can use an F-rod type shaft that has a "boot" at the splined area which keeps water, etc. from getting in there...I believe that info came from Oxley's Drive Shaft on Industrial (down near the jail) in Dallas...the part time kit in your 203 was done in 86 (maybe 87), did the chain at the same time...

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Not much. A little. I remember mine had some and some others that I have seen had some. I still have my old stock one laying around in the garage, I'll see how much "wiggle" it has and let you know...
    Boss

10. muddin4fun

I wonder if that boot would act like a shock boot and do more harm than good /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

I just wonder what would cause it to go out so fast. I haven't wheeled it much lately. Maybe it's the awsome torque from the motor...yeah, yeah...dats it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I had one go bad in one wheeling trip. I installed a brand new driveshaft up front and wheeled Disney Oklahoma. After returning, it was loose. Here are a couple of things I have considered to be the culprit. I clearanced my CV for the 6" lift and droopage factor. I think I did not clearance it enough and it has bound a little and worn the splines out. Secondly, I dont think my NP205 is disengaging the front shaft completely. It spins as I go down the highway in 2 Hi and Front hubs unlocked. When you installed your front shaft, did you check down travel of the whole shaft throughout the rotation cycle? I dont run a boot nor do any of the guys I wheel with. Also, I had an NP203 with part time kit and got similar pop. Its probably slack in the internal diff of the transfercase. They get worn and the part time kit spider half gears make for a sloppy connection when engaging from forward to reverse or vice versa. Junk the NP203 for a good gear driven transfer case and never look back!

12. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

forgot to mention...I may have a line on a 400/205 in a donor truck w/no motor...if things work out, you will be the first person to know...

13. muddin4fun

/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

looking for 'pop' sounds in a leaf sprung vehicle you should start at the leaves
    they can be quite loud as they move around
    titghten your ubolts etc
    the best bet is to be outside the vehicle watching as you try and get a helper to create the noise

15. muddin4fun

I've checked that. For a while, I was splitting the shims in half and they'd fall out. But the ubolts are tight. It sounds like it'd be a transmission mount, but that's tight also. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif