Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would yall do-373 w/limited slip or 410 open

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by twoslo4five0, Feb 7, 2007.

1. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

alright heres the deal before you anwser...my burb as some of you know is my tow rig...i have a 14bsf with a posi 10 bolt 8 lug open front both with 373 right now....i have a line on a set of 410 14 bff open and 44 8 lug open...should i go to 410s for towing but i will loose the posi or keep the 373...the truck is a on road truck remember that...oh and i run th400 trans if that helps any...will 410s really help alot???or should i just re gear mine to 456...oh and the 410s are a really good deal...

2. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

if your just using it to tow your blazer around i would do the 4.10 swap. a limited slip doest do much when your towin on the road cuz im sure not not out tryin to break traction with your rig behind it:haha: . it should pull alot better on the hills with that 400th IMO.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Do the 4.10 swap and drop a Detroit in the 14bff.
    And then put your posi unit in the front 10b, like you mentioned on the other post.

Voila! True 4WD! Ok, maybe 3.75WD since the posi allows some slip. :D

4. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Go 4.10 leave it open, because you'll see a tiny bit better gas mileage. And if you really need traction throw a lockright up front.

5. twoslo4five0

the psi is in the 14bsf...the 10 bolt is open...i like running an open front end on the street anyway...

6. iwaxmyjimmy

Um..... your not running in 4wd on the street are you?

7. twoslo4five0

just when it snows bad...never happens but when it does i will run in 4 hi then...

8. iwaxmyjimmy

Yeah if its your tow rig/DD I would definitely stay open rear, but like I said before if you feel the need for a little extra traction just throw a lockright up front.

9. twoslo4five0

its not my dd...but i do only really drive it on the street...the 373s are not working for towing...thing is a slug of the line and up a hill...i dont have a tach but i dont really rev to high until about 75 -80...and i never go that fast especially with a trailer...so you think 410s not 456s huh...

10. iwaxmyjimmy

Well you will be going to a full floater rear which is stronger, but the semi floater is more than enough for just towing. Factor in the cost of puttin 4.56s in your front and rear 1/2 tons and then compare it to just swaping in a 3/4 ton axles. Since its your money you need to decide all we can do is give our bias opinions.

11. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

yea like waxmyjimmy said the 410 swap im sure is probaly cheaper and thers not that much diff between rpm from a 410 to a 456 just look at a gear chart. do it for the money imo

12. twoslo4five0

when i read the gear chart they all seem to be for 4 speed transmittions...anyone ever seen one for a 3 speed???

13. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Most all of the gear charts are calculated at a 1:1 ratio, which is direct (3rd gear, NOT overdrive) in a 3 or 4 speed transmission (except for a few RPMs allowed for slippage with the torque convertor). The charts you look at should be pretty darn close to your set-up. I use the charts/tables/calculators at 4lo.com.

14. twoslo4five0

man i think i need 456 at least it says for towing and 35s you need 513s..

15. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I use to tow all the time on a set of 33"s with 4.10's and a th400. Towed real good, but screamed down the highway doing 65-70. I think you'd be fine with 4.10's and 35"s. I'd stay away from anything over 4.56's.

16. twoslo4five0

man gears are like a double edge sword...dont wanna go to little or too much...the reason im thinking 456 is shackerbuilt which isnt far drom me sells brand new (yes brand new)14bff's with disc brakes for like 800 each...sounds like alot but you gotta think its a brand new axle with 300 bucks worth of brakes on it...that might be the way i go...too many plans not enough $$$

17. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

A buddy of mine just bought one of those shakerbuilt axles off eBay. Cost him $260 for shipping! :eek1:

Should be arriving any day now, though.

$300 is a pretty generous estimate for the cost of a disc brake conversion. I priced out all the components with Gravel Maker's brackets and it's less than $200.

18. twoslo4five0

if you read the entire i said im not far from shakerbuilt....about an hour...can prolly meet him in the middle...used corp 14bff with 456 down here are 300 then you gatta add brakes...ight as well just get a new one from sahkerbuilt...

19. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would go with 4.10's. if it's a towrig then it's shouldn't have 35's on it. sorry but thats how I feel. 33's are plenty. you want to tow with a low stable vehicle. You can always slap a detroit in the 14ff. it's stronger then the 14sf. You can buy a complete axle from shakerbilt, but you still need to do something with the front.

in your own words, "too many plans not enough $$$"

Keep It Simple Stupid.

20. twoslo4five0

i have towed with 35 here and there...not a problem...towed a truck from alabama to va no problem...wouldnt go any bigger..but i have used a buddy of mines truck on 44 hawgs to pull with...not fun in the least bit but it get the job done...as far a the front axle goes i dont use 4wd so i can regear that at any time...i will pull the front drive shaft out to ensure that the 4wd doesnt get used...