Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would yall do with a TBI 454 and $1k?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Jan 15, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I just got the motor from a parts truck and sold the rest of the truck sans utility bed for half what I paid for the whole thing :D . The motor is complete and looks to be in decent shape. I am going through and degreasing the hell out of it and plan on refurbishing it a little bit. I was going to leave the rotating assembly alone because I am too poor to do anything with it and focus on everything else. While disassembling it I noticed there was oil in a few of the exhaust ports so new valve seals are deffinately in order. I am also going to replace all gaskets so that brings my total expenditures at this point up to about $160. I want to get a set of Doug Thorley headers and am expecting to shell out $4-500 for them. That leaves me with about $300 to blow. I am thinking a new cam would be a good investment, nothing radical just a lil more cajones than stock. What do yall think I should do with the remaining money? Any cam recomendations? Anyone know where to get Doug Thorley headers for our trucks? I wont be able to do this until summer so no rush.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Are you going to leave the motor TBI? If you are. I would rather spend the rest of the money modifing the TB to get more flow than putting in a cam. You can simply bolt on quite a few more HP and more torque by increasing the flow.

3. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Don't waste your money on those TB spacers. The only real way is to have the TB bored out, call turbocity.com.

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Is your ignition system set up. I would get a MSD system if you don't already have one.

5. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Lose the peanut ports and get a set of closed chamber oval posts, they will wake it up more than a 781 style due to compression... anything you can do to bump up the stock 7.9:1 will help, and the peanut ports won't flow much more with any cam... Also an intake manifold. What year is it, the 88-91s use the adapter to a really crappy qj manifold, same tbi adapter would fit a performer.....

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  6. slyguy_22

slyguy_22 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i would personally search for a decent set of used heads on ebay or ur local junk yard

7. afroman006

Yes I am leaving the motor TBI. I've looked at turbo city before but last time I checked their tricked out TB's were around $500. Would be cool to have some day but cant afford that right now. MSD ignition sounds like a good idea so I'll keep that in mind. I cant really afford a set of new heads for this engine. What I would really like are a set of the Edelbrock TBI BBC heads. But they are $1500 a pair :( . Aren't closed chamber heads an old design? Whats the difference between closed and open chamber heads? What would be a good casting # for a set of heads for this engine? The engine came out of a 91 dually. I havent noticed an adapter but I havent taken the TB off yet. I've looked at aftermarket manifolds and for TBI engines they are like $350, ouch. So how much power do these engines put out in factory form? Thx for the help and keep the ideas coming.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you want better performance IMHO the best way to spend the 300 is right here: cfm-tech.com
    Check out the box that says 40 HP for $265. Those parts listed will give you the most bang for your buck.
    Also blueprinted & bored throttle bodys are not $500. You can get the TB without injectors and use your own for under 300 as long as you send them a core. CFM Tech's TBs are built by Turbo-City.
    I have used these parts on more than one engine. And have been pleased with the results There are other members here that have used CFM tech/Turbocity performance parts with good results.
    I dont think a cam or manifold will help you a lot whthout replacing those peanut port heads.
    The stock ignition is good enough for your needs. TBI ignition is a very good factory ignition.
    But adding flow to the Throttle Body, which is the most restrictive part of the intake system. Will do the most good. Also you will get more out of future mods with a better flowing TB.

9. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

i say, replace cap, rotor, wires, and plugs, get the cfm tech mods, and some thorley headers

10. afroman006

I like the CFM stuff, its looking like that is the route I am going to take. Thanks. BTW, does anyone know where to get Thorley headers for our trucks? I've checked Summit and Scoggins Dickey and neither have them.

11. afroman006

I like the CFM stuff, its looking like that is the route I am going to take. Thanks. BTW, does anyone know where to get Thorley headers for our trucks? I've checked Summit and Scoggins Dickey and neither have them.

12. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

If you look at Thorley's website and find the part # you need, Summit can order them for you. And Summit has free shipping... Paid around $500 for ceramic coated headers from them. Shipped. And that is how I did it. I looked up the part # and had Summit put it in their system.