Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would y'all recommend?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer_boy_15, Nov 17, 2001.

1. blazer_boy_15

blazer_boy_15 Registered Member

what would y\'all recommend?

i'm only 15 but in december i'm gonna 16 so i'm need opinions on what tires would wear good on the road
    but still be good offroad, cause its gonna be my daily driver? and another thing, my blazer has got a 6" lift on it with 35's but would i be able to
    fit 38's or should i just stay with the 35's?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: what would y\'all recommend?

Performance offroad, good wear, decent road manners, and cost all factored in...I'd have to say the Pro-comp MT's or BFG MT's in a 35x12.5 size would be a good all around tire.
    Any 38" tire is pushing you out of the daily driver catagory...and they are generally very expensive. Also if the truck performs well with 35's now I'd stick with the size unless you were prepared to make the necessary mods to use the 38's. Stronger diffs, gear change front and rear, major body trimming, etc etc. On top of that the on-road performance won't be anywhere as good as a 35" Radial MT.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If you trim enough you can fit 38's.... question is what about your gearing? Is it stock? You really don't wanna go 38's with high gearing. That'll be fun- not! I got a 6" lift with 33's until someday when I finally will get the chance to drive down to SoCal to get my new axles with the 4.10 gears...... I had 36's with 3.08's. It was fine for on road when it got up to speed but sucked off road..... and really wore on the truck all around.....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

For a daily driver Id stick w/ 35's. I have 38's on mine, and I can drive it every day if I wanted to, I just dont. My last rig had 40's and was set up for 44's. It just gets to be a pain in the butt dealing w/ traffic and such when you get that big. The police are another issue. They have a thing for pulling big trucks. [​IMG] On road wear you will prob get the best out of Hawgs. I personally like Swampers but they dont wear as well. ( yet another reason why my truck is not driven daily.)

The info you put about your ride is the stuff that needs to be in your profile. It just makes our life easier to just look at it to see what you have, rather than having to ask you and wait for a responce from you the try to answer your question.

As a side note, being a 16 yr old driver and not having a great amount of experience, PLEASE remember that big rides come w/ big responsibility. They dont corner take off or stop like a stock one will. We recently lost a memeber and I am sure noone wants another accident.

I give this same speech to anyone I know that has a big truck and not alot of experience. So please dont take it personal.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I run a 6" lift with 35" bfg mud terains... go for 35x12.50 bfg km mud terains for daily driving... im sure you can fit some 36x12.50 TSLs but they wear fast so ive heard. But i think thats what im gunna do after i trim some so i can get some articulation. As for daily driving its pretty good. I like it. Just dont get too carried away, like pureinsanity said, big trucks come with big responsibilty dont think you can just run people over if they cut you off although you probably could =P
    And realize high center of gravity = turn really really slow.
    Wish you best of luck on building up your truck !

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next...highflow cat, single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

WOW! <a target="_blank" href=http://freespace.virgin.net/chris.bradley5/austinsounds/minime.wav>Minnie Me!</a>

I bet you registered for Blazer_Boy, didn't ya?

Well when I get the $25 and register, I may upgrade to Blazer_Man, haha. There's also a BlazerBoy on here. Nice to see so many cool names, hahaha [​IMG]

"I ain't nobody, dork."
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would recomend the Goodyear MTRs over the BFG MTs. I have the BFGs on my burb and hate them. On the other hand I have the MTRs on the Jimmy and they work great for offroading, last a long time, are alot quiter than the BFGs and they hold up alot better as well. Just ask anyone that has used the Goodyeras they will tell you they are awsome as for as radials are concerned.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

the only downside to gettin mtr is the $$$$. those things are expensive. almost 200 bucks a tire. i have heard they are awsome but the price is the only thing. if u have the money then get em. if i had the money i'd get em. then save up for my lift. lol.

jacob

9. scooby

scooby Registered Member

no no no ...
    go big 36" tsl radial..
    bigger is better .
    BUT be carefull, up grade ur brakes to the 3/4 ton set up u will stop way better.

suport ur local parts guy , bring beer !!