Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would you all use...lift degree ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Mar 7, 2001.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I need to shim my rear like 6 more degrees to have the perfect driveline angle. Right now I have 4 degree shims. I have read that someone took blocks and had them cut to the desired angle. Could I stack shims? I think to have the spring perches welded would cost too much money. I think the small amount of vibration is the reason why my t-case started leaking out the rear seal.

baja surf nazi -...A late storm NEVER comes...

[​IMG]

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Dont stack shims!!!!! They will walk out from under each other. Have you considered doing a shackle flip and throwing the blocks away? That would help your pinion angle alot. 10 degrees of shim sounds like an awful lot I have a 6" lift any only had 3 degree shims in it. You could also ask a machine shop to make you some shims cut to your specs.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

No, I have 6 inch rear springs. I was referring to cutting a block down to act as a shim. i will ask a machine shop when i get a chance. yeah, it is weird i still am getting some vibration ( though not much ).

[​IMG]

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Before spending the money, drop you transfer case down one inch and see if it goes away. If so then spend the money, you might find out it is something else causing it.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Already did that. dropped it one inch. I mean it is barely noticeable but still there. maybe a 6 degree shim would do...

[​IMG]

6. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

The reason I believe he needs that much angle is that he is trying to rotate the pinion back up for his new c/v shaft and not down for a regular shaft. You are right about the shackle flip and 2" to 3" springs would probably help get him close enough to just use a small degree shim if any with the c/v shaft. Just my $.02

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]