Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you build...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

What engine would you build to get a reliable 300hp and 400ft/lbs to the rear wheels? Could you do it with a small block? Like a built 400 or a 383? Would the price be outrageous for the sbc? Where would you put the powerband for a good combo of rockcrawling and high throttle hillclimbs? Fuel injected for sure as well. Plus I'm running a standard so it will get power to the rear wheels a little easier than the auto boys.

I'm starting to dream of my next engine. Not too much power but enough for some fun, and keep the weight at a smallblock level. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well what would you build and what would the stats look like? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Build a Big Block With aluminum heads.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

you can build a completely bullet proof (forged everything sbc) for the price of an ok bbc. Big block parts cost 1.5-2 times as much as smallblock parts, but you'll lose the torque at, and just off, idle. If I was building a sbc, I would either buy one of these 2 crate motors, or copy them as best I could. I would use either the HT383 or the zz383

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Find one of the new roller block 350's....Add in a stroker kit with a roller cam. Top off with a good set of heads and a Performer RPM manifold.

I would try and get the HP to peak about 5000 rpm's and shoot for a torque peak of around 3000-3500....This should put a grin on your face /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

That zz383 is my current dream engine that I want if that means anything to you, its just something about the GM warrenties that they come with. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    What engine would you build to get a reliable 300hp and 400ft/lbs to the rear wheels? Could you do it with a small block? Like a built 400 or a 383? Would the price be outrageous for the sbc? Where would you put the powerband for a good combo of rockcrawling and high throttle hillclimbs? Fuel injected for sure as well. Plus I'm running a standard so it will get power to the rear wheels a little easier than the auto boys.

I'm starting to dream of my next engine. Not too much power but enough for some fun, and keep the weight at a smallblock level. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well what would you build and what would the stats look like? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

6.5 TD with 18:1 pistons, intercooler, a little tweaking and good exhaust. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif 300 hp and prolly 500+tq to the rear wheels...

Rene

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ive wanted the HT383 scence they came out with with them,hot rod did a build up on one and it rocked ass!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif But i want to put a SFI system on it, like the holley or edlebrock /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

6.5 TD with 18:1 pistons, intercooler, a little tweaking and good exhaust. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif 300 hp and prolly 500+tq to the rear wheels...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're going to go through all that, just put a Cummins in. DI=better fuel mileage and more power.

That said, if it has t be a gasser, I'd just build the 383 with AFR heads, the right cam, about 10:1, add the headers/duals etc, and I'm sure it'll fall into that range.

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

the caddy 500 was 300 hp and prolly 500+tq to the rear wheels... stock /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Most of those tq and hp #'s seem a little high in the powerband to me. Well except the 6.5 and the 500 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I was thinking along the same lines. Sounds like you need two different engines being that you want it for rock crawling(low end torque) and hill climbing(high end HP and lots of RPMS)..... The 500 caddys and even a 70 Pontiac 455HO would be a good bet for you ap, althoguh neither of them would like the high RPMs much.....

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

the HT makes alot of TQ, in the low RPM ranges, plus a max rpm of 6000 wich is pretty normal for a stroker, i really like it

13. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My motor puts out peak 490ftlb at 3500rpm and 400hp at 4000rpm cost around 3500.00 you saw how it preformed on the rocks and roostin' sand /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Most of those tq and hp #'s seem a little high in the powerband to me. Well except the 6.5 and the 500 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

According to desktop dyno my present 383 project will make the following:
    max torque: 431@ 2500RPMs
    max hp: 343@ 5000RPMs

oh and the setup doesn't dip below 400 ft-lbs. until 4500RPMs.

Thats a:
    TPI 383
    decent heads(read could do WAY better, even vortec would be better)
    Comp Cams 4x4 camshaft 258h(second level one, not the all out torque one)
    simple headers
    10:1 compression(could be the difference between your driveable reliable motor)

Max HP at 500 RPMs is PERFECT for me. I will likely put a rev limiter at 5500 RPMs. Being a 383 and TPI I don't want to rev it any higher. Now I just need to build the 383 and aquire the complete TPI setup /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

15. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Forgot to add that my motor run 9.3:1 compression so I can run 87 octane I ran 85 octane in utah but it didn't like it much.

16. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Stock rebuild a 454 bottom end, buy a set of merlin ovals (about the same cost as rebuilding a set of 781s with 2.19/1.88) and run a good hydraulic cam with a tight base duration like on of these two Lunati's 02-UH3-UH3-12-A01 or 02-UH4-UH4-10-A01 (these are old ultradyne grinds)

Very mild combination that will last forever, and put out torue like you would never see from a small block

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A mild 406! My 406sbc put about 315HP and right at 400 ft lbs at the crank down on the dyno. My favorite part is that the dyno sheet shows a long steady power band from about 2500 RPM's all the way to about 4,500 or so.

400's are great for making hi torque numbers compared to a 350 that generally has around the same amount of HP and TQ.

I do a lot of climbing and lately I have been out testing it for some mud drags and it runs great up around 5,500 RPMS. It makes some nice low end torque also but it's sweet spot seems to be in the 3,500-4,500 range.

18. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it! I saw this post this morning and just figured id say that exact buildup when i got home from class. Simple buildup, plenty of power.

Tim:

[ QUOTE ]
    If we're going to go through all that, just put a Cummins in. DI=better fuel mileage and more power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Direct injection does not automatically equal better mileage. Plus he said he wants to keep the weight down somewhat. To keep a reliable 300hp at the wheels, without pushing EGT's through the roof, that would almost automatically rule out a 4bt. A 6bt would be over 1100 pounds fully dressed(probobally closer to 1200), where a 6.5 would be arround 750.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

350 lbs.....so it'd be just like having my girlfriend in the truck vs. not having her. Not enough to worry about. I'd much rather have the Cummins over a beefed 6.5. It has a lot more potential.

20. bonanza

bonanza Registered Member

I'd build either a 383 or a 400 with vortec or edelbrock e-tec cylinder heads, edelbrock eps manifold, comp cams 4x4 X4262H cam, tri-y headers, 9.5-10:1 compression, and either a 750 carb or fuel injection.