Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you consider a redneck?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 22, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have seen a few memebers on here call themself rednecks.
    What would you consider a redneck, and why? Do you think you are one?

Thanks.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I guess Id call myself one, been called one forever. Just cause used to live in a trailer park, and drove our tractor around the trailer park. I dont know, would you consider that redneck? I think the thing that cinched it with my family was every piece to a big block chevy, spready out on the dining room table.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'm more of a hillbilly without a hill... :grin:

4. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

hillbilly???? I pictured you more of an up to date hippy :D .

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Basically a blue collar rural types , although you don't have to have a farm or a ranch ( you can live anywhere ) , just a solid American who would give you the shirt off their backs , works hard , pays taxes , repsects their parents , and can cut loose and party their %$^& ass off when needed . :D

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hippies hug bunnies and hump bark, I wipe my a$$ with both... :D

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i think by today's defenition anyone that get's by with what they have. AND doesn't care what people think. or me and my truck with no bed. :laugh:

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I found this a while back and this sure looks like the place to post it!
    Someone's version, not mine!

Definition of a Redneck

So folks, we've been ta'king a lot 'bout them rednecks, but I ain't tell ye what a Redneck is and ain't...
    So this's maybe a good mo'ment to do so!

· This question I battle with every day. I have tried to answer it with dictionaries and with every resource book available. But none of them give the true meaning of what it means to be a redneck. I am now going to give you my definition of a redneck.

· Being a redneck is being proud of your roots and a true love for your father’s name. Where family and friends are first and strangers are just a vague, dismal blur in the distance. Rednecks are good ol' boys/gals who usually live in the south (usually in the country) and also tend to have a southern accent. Their necks are red and maybe their arms, too, cause they work hard and out in the heat all day.The group that is ridiculed by most, but deep down envied by all. Some types of rednecks may be cowboys/girls, mountain men/women, country boys/gals, and or hillbilly's.

· Big truck tires, huntin’, fishin’, tractor pulls, country music, Charlie Daniels, and rebel flags are just a few words that might describe a redneck. They usually drive pickup trucks with loud sounds that can usually be heard before seen, and they also tend to blare country music from their radios. They usually add a CB radio to their truck and may have a gun rack in the back and an ol' rebel flag flyin from the antennae or posted on their front or back winshield. It is hard to figure these people out. Most people just can’t understand how you can have such a weird lifestyle of cowboy hats and buckles.

· Many Rednecks love the ol' T.V. show called "dukes of hazzard" and western shows. They are very laid back and tend to piss people off when they drive too slow or too fast down the road in their ol' pickup trucks.

· They love women/men (preferably Cowgirls/boys), country music, wearin' jeans, wearin' boots (may be leather), wearin' a cowboy hat, yellin' yyyyyeeeehhhhhaaaaaawwwwww! out loud, shootin' the bull (talkin and telling some stories), fishin', huntin' watching wrestlin', watchin' or goin' to NASCAR races, watchin' baseball, or watchin' football.

· Rednecks may also like the rodeo. They love ridin’ horses or bulls, or ropin’ calves. Most Rednecks can usually be found at or off your local gravel road, in Texas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina and maybe even in other southern states. They will be found on or near your local farm, at a bar (playin pool), local rodeo event and or stock show. The Redneck diet may include t-bone, tender loin, beef, beef stew, Cajun food, Burger King, pizza, and maybe some good ol’ peach cobbler fer desert.

· Things that make a redneck mad: somebody stealin’ his healthy horse, making a promise which you can’t keep, cuttin’ down rodeo events, and much more.

· Things that really piss a redneck off is: stealin’ his cowgirl, a male hitting a female, a male cheating on a female, child abuse, abortions (child killers), beatin’ up his haas(word which means buddy), messin with his family, and much more. I tell ya, most rednecks like to fight for their woman and/or to defend their own honor. And i guarantee you if a true redneck sees you do one of the things in this list that redneck will whoop your @ $ $ right then and there

· Rednecks know how to treat women. Rednecks know how to respect, love, and care about females. True Rednecks love females for who they are and would never cheat on them. A True redneck would never hit or injur a female. White trash lies to females, cheat on them, beat them, get them pregnant and then leave them (A redneck believes a white trash person like this should be hung by their "YOU KNOW WHAT")

· How can your friends be more important than yourself? This might be a question from a typical non-redneck. Where the outdoors are loved and where blue-collar labor is not looked down on but a way of life. Where hard hats are worn instead of pocket protectors. Where steel toe boots are worn instead of nice loafers. Where blue jeans and a flannel are preferred to a nice coat and tie. Rednecks are the people that make the world go round!

· What a Redneck Isn't

· I have already explained What a redneck is, now I feel it necessary to explain what a redneck isn't. Most folk out there, sittin on their high and mighty social horse feel that they can group folks they see as uncultured or undesirable as rednecks. This shows their lack of knowledge and ignorance.

· For example, these people interchange characteristics of white trash and rednecks. I will admit that it might be possible for a redneck to be also white trash, but this is not to be taken for granted. And some characteristics are no longer apply or might have never applied. I will attempt to rectify this.

· 1. White trash, or more correctly, trailer-trash live in trailers...not rednecks. We more commonly inhabit run-down, partially constructed homes or log cabins.

· 2. Rednecks are not lazy, incompetent, laggards. Those incorrectly grouped with us that do fit this descriptions are more commonly called "welfare-trash". It must be noted that being on welfare does not automatically make one trash, merely down and out and nothing to be ashamed of. Rednecks and white-trash are the ones that built this country(and that ain't figurative).

· 3. The inbred stereo-type is old and over used and can no longer be considered humorous or accurate. Those that use this description have confused us with "European Blue-Bloods"(now there's some trees that never branched! They didn't call each other cousin for the hell of it!!!)

· 4. Rednecks are not stupid. In the bountiful ignorance of most cityfolk, they have confused ignorance with stupidity and proven my point themselves. There are old rednecks in these hills that never went past the second grade that have more knowledge in the head than most of those academic boobs that profess to be "educated". Once had some of these fellers poken fun at me for miss using an economic term, but when I asked them a question, damned if any one of 'em knew how much hardener to add to a golf ball sized helpin of body puddy!! Guess they must'a just been stupid??

9. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

and stuff. :laugh: HELL YEA

10. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

This is a great thread.

I agree with the positive descriptions of a redneck as listed above.

My Dad is what I call an intellectual Redneck. All the good stuff and widely read, really smart, and absolutely zero tolerance for b.s.

My father in law, my other Dad, is a Redneck. Best man in town and always the first to offer help to someone. But piss him off and he will never give you a glance again.

My best friend is a Redneck. We were mega busy at work last month. He worked a week with double pnemonia, because we were shorthanded.

Redneck is a term I have never percieved as derogatory, although I know it is used as an adjective to slander people. That's a shame.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks. Don't really know if I could call myself one...

k20, LOL that sounds like fun riding on a tractor through the trailer park. :cool1:

12. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

according to Mr. Jeff Foxworthy a redneck is one with a "Glorious abscence of sophistication" by my interpretation that is not someone who's at all dumb etc.... it is just as many others have said in previous post a good all around ole' boy. i have always been told being from the part of tennessee i'm from i was more country than a redneck.

i ask my grandpa one time what the difference between a country boy and a redneck are and he said "rednecks start fights and country boys finish them" :D

13. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yep, except for the part about Country music. I never really knew I was a redneck until I moved to Oklahoma.

John

14. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

A redneck is something to aspire to if you move to Texas.

15. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My definition: a redneck is a Boy Scout who grew up, but kept the values he learned.

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I agree with 3 on the Tree's definition. And I am one of those. I think technically I'm an intellectual redneck/white trash mixture. I can work on a truck all day, go to a broadway play or concert in the evening, and go out and get drunk in a cornfield at night.