Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do? 205or241

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blueblaze, Jul 29, 2004.

1. blueblaze

blueblaze 1/2 ton status

Would you run a 700R4/NP241 or Sm465/NP205?

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Depends on a lot of factors but I'd have to say the weakest component in them choices is the 700R4. Some will say that the NP241 isn't the strongest and it probably isn't. How do you drive? How much does your rig weigh?

I'm going to run the 241. I fully expect to be below 5000 lbs. in trail ready fashion.

Hard question to answer. Both combinations have advantages. If it spends more time on the road I'd give the 700/241 a shot. More trail or hard trail driving maybe you should go the other route.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

700r4 generally deemed much weaker than the sm465. The 205 is preferred strengthwise over the 241 as it is all gear driven with a cast iron case, but it is much heavier.

The 241 is a strong unit (I believe it is what is used behind the Duramax). The biggest "weakness" is it's aluminum case which can be smashed easier by trail debris and bottoming out driveshafts. It is lighter (sometimes a plus) and has a much lower low range than the 205......and skid plates can be fabbed for protection.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What do you like wheeling better?? An auto or a stick? Thats basically what it boils down too. SOme prefer a stick while others prefer an auto..

I, myself, would go with the 700/241.... Make sure you keep clean fluid in the 700 and run a big cooler on it! Then you should be fine!

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I agree with Emettology 101.

The only thing I would add it go with low gears. If I was running a 700r4 & 35s, I would use 4.88s.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Oh, I forgot to add. I big problem that you run into with installing a 700 into a different vehcile is that the OD needs a controller for the lock up convertor. If you dont run a controller for the lock up, you will burn up 4th gear! So either get a controller for it or run a non lock up convertor. SOme quality tranny shops will have the convertor or can modify the tranny to lock up at the right time.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I big problem that you run into with installing a 700 into a different vehcile is that the OD needs a controller for the lock up convertor.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's already got a 700 in it.

8. blueblaze

blueblaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    I big problem that you run into with installing a 700 into a different vehcile is that the OD needs a controller for the lock up convertor.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's already got a 700 in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now I still have the 465/208 in the truck. I was thinking the 465/205 would be cheaper then the 700/241.

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

im going from a 700/205 to a 700/241... ill let you know what low range is like. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif