Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do??? Cheap D60 ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, May 23, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

What would you do??? Cheap D60 ??\'s

I was talking to the guy at my local driveline shop about converting my D44 to 8-lug and he tells me he has a friend with a GM D60, and he's looking to get rid of it! Eureka! So I ask how much does he want. "Couple hundred bucks." So now I'm 'bout to piss my shorts. I ask what gears it has and then the shoe drops. It's not the complete axle, just the housing. No carrier, no outer knuckles, no shafts. Center section, tubes and inner knuckles only. So i said "fokkit." Told him thanks anyway, and that was that. Now I know how much all these parts are gonna cost me, particularly the knuckles, but I can't stop thinking about if this would be a good idea or not. That was a few weeks ago, and I can't help thinking about it, so now I am here to tap yer brains for knowledge and advice. So how about it, what do you all think. Tha way I see it, most go buy a complete d60 for $800 or so and then proceed to spend lots more $$ replacing and/or upgrading a lot of the parts on it anyway. I think I might go throw an offer of $100 cash at the guy, maybe he's looking to get it outta the way???? Bring on all suggestions and opinions. Thanks.

2. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Re: What would you do??? Cheap D60 ??\'s

Personally, I would keep looking for a complete axle. Maybe you will even get an awesome deal, like I did ($150). I have seen people pay even less, when the seller did not know what he/she had.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd say if ya canget the housing for $100 or even $200 do it. Even if ya spend $800 for a complete one how much are ya gonna put into it 2-$300? This way you could buy all new parts, and still be in it for the same amount or less money I would think. There are some 60 parts in the F/S board right now too I think /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it. I know you at least used to be able to get a brand spanking new housing from GM for $245.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you had planned fo replacing the gears and locker, upgrading the shafts, and going with crane knuckes or something, go for it