Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do for a motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FatBoyBlazer, Dec 31, 2002.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i've got a 91 blazer with 5.7 and a throttle body, and its starting to go, what motor would be good and still allow me to keep the throttle body, i want high horse but i've still got the 700 tranny............. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I like the GM crate motor warrenty is great. Also I want to drop a LS-1 out of a Taheo w/ the 4L80 trans.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If I could afford it, I'd go with a "RamJet 502" BIG BLOCK !!!!!! But if you're staying small block, I'd serously look at a 383-HT. Your fuel injection should work fine with it. I don't think you'd have to recalibrate it, but if so, it's pretty simple to change the chip.

4. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

thats what i was leaning torwards, was the ht 383, all that you need to do is change the intake manifold and do something with the EGR.......something or other......what would i be able to choose from for headers tho? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the only problem with running a High Po 383 engine and useing the stock injection is the computer isn't programed for that style performance. A chip alone won't make the computer function to that engines needs. It will run, but you won't get all the performance out of engine. there are aftermerket computers available that will fit GM harness, but you have to set up programs for your performance needs. If you are gonna build a engine, make sure you keep it quite. gear drives and solid lifters cause internal noises and trigger the knock senser and keep timing retarded! and you can't run it without it. just some things I have run into!

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For headers, I really like the Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers.