Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Apr 21, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok, a few weeks ago I was driving from one school to another during work. All of a sudden this idiot pulls out in front of trying to make a right hard turn into my lane going the same way. Despite my best effort, I nailed him. It wasn't a huge thing, I was in the Peeon. Enough to swap paint on his bumper, and pull a piece of trim off my door, remove paint, make some small flat spots and generally make it ugly.

I pulled over and the guy did behind me. He got out, walked up to my window asked how I was. I said fine, so he got back in his car and drove off. It was pretty dang obvious we made contact, yet he didn't even look at that on my car before he left. I chased him down and got his plate number. Then I called the cops, who promptly made me wait forever.

They (insurance) determined it was his fault by what I have said (plus I have a witness). He ran a stop sign, then left the scene. Even still, here I sit and wait for the report to get things rolling with insurance who is at a stand still because of the cops being slow. My friend who actually started out as my adjuster but had to hand over the case has been advising me.

My friend told me this, I have a choice I can make when the time comes, and not sure wtf to do... I can get some estimates for my car, then instead of fixing it, cash out. In others words take the cash for what they were going to pay to fix it, and use it for whatever I want. Or I can fix it.

I'm seriously considering cashing out and using the money to buy crossover steering and the few items I have left to do and be done with it (well, done with it for now, I know it's never done). My only thing is it looks ugly. If I sell the Peeon, which I am going to, it'll lower the value (yeah, it's actually worth like tree fiddy). But on the other hand, last summer some fool backed into me at Chevron and left. So I have that dent up front. So it's not like it'd be perfect if I get this other damage fixed. So, what would you do, take the cash and not fix it, or just fix it?

Right now I don't know anything yet on if this other idiot has insurance or what. If I took the cash, it'd be less my dedectable. I personally think this butthead should be paying that since it's his fault.... anyhow... I'm wonder what to do here... so, what would you do?

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I dont see how your deductable comes into this. His insurance should have to pay not yours.

What i would do since youre planning to sell it, get some quotes from companies and pick the highest 2 or 3. Use those to give to his insurance. After you get the $$$, find the cheapest place to get it repaired and keep the extra money.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally I'd look into any local auto body schools. See if any of them can fix your car. You don't have to pay for labor that way. And pocket the insurance check. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Well, that's just what I would do.

4. ChevyCaGal

I have no idea if at this point this idiot has insurance since I have yet to hear form the cops if they have found him.... so he very may not have any insurance. I suspect he didn't why he decided to drive off. His car wasn't a beater, as in looks, it was clean and all, but that doesn't mean jack I suppose....

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get estimates from some TOP of the line shops (ie lots of $)... then fix it yourself for a lot less $... pocket the rest of the $. problem solved. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Pocket the dough and beat the daylights out of the Peon... If that happened to me in my wife's old pontiac, that's what I'd do.

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I think I'd have to work on my truck and drive the car with a few dents. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I'd have to work on my truck and drive the car with a few dents. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm thinking.... heck, I doubt the dents will detract from the value. I think the fact the car sucks will detract from the value. My mom said, just fix your truck and please get it out of my driveway. So I think she was wanting me to get it out of her driveway. I dunno just a hutch from what she said... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Take the cash, fix up Your 4x4, and still drive the "target" vehicle as a daily driver. After You paint a Bull's eye on each door. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Find the jackass, find his car and render it into an inoperable for a really long time condition. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

If it's going to left up to YOUR insurance company, don't make the claim. Instead, take him to court after you get the estimates. Make sure you take some photos of the damage now... Then when you get a judgement just pocket the money and sell it or keep it...

If he does have insurance I would do the same thing and then buy a bunch of beer and have your local wheeling friends come over and bang it out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif