Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do if a ck5er knowingly screwed you over? EDIT: see first post

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 78Suburban, May 2, 2006.

?

What should I do?

1. give him negative I trader, and just wait till he shoots you back a negative feedback

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Make a post, telling everyone his name, and to beware

34 vote(s)
    54.0%
  3. tell everyone who he is in PM's if they want to know

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. there's nothing you can do, he has a higher post count, you lose

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. he's Nekkid and laughing at you right now

18 vote(s)
    28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

EDIT:

I've finally done some work on the motor and now it runs pretty good. Its now rare that I get a spitback through the carb. Hopefully this thread will Die soon, but it seems its being PADed back to life.

Its quite possible that that the old motor was just barely hanging by a thread, and the extra power it takes to move a burb with a th400 was enough to make the engine problems stick their ugly head out.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Oh **** it wasnt your Lexus was it?

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

out the ****er, immediately, no questions asked if its a definite screw. if it could be a mix up, then i might hold off a little.

4. 78Suburban

definite screw, no ifs, ands, buts about it.....

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

out him or her

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

out the whole story, no names, then let us decide if he was wrong.. (dont hate me guys, i didn't mean to do it)

7. 78Suburban

he's got a good reputation. It was probably a one time thing, he needed money for something, and saw a chance to get it from a noob. He has refused to refund my money, even partially. I'll watch the poles a little while longer.

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i think the right thing to do is spill the whole story (when you feel like it) and let us decide if there was any way it could not be one sided, or if he is a punk.

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

dude, seriously if you beleive that, you're way off.

the man sold you an engine, windsheild, steering box, replacement rocker panels, and delivered them 7 hours from his house. all for $350.

he even offered to let you drive the vehicle that the engine was in before you bought it. you declined. fair enough, he lives 7 hours away from you and you couldnt drive out there.

when you thought the cam lobes were wiped out, he offered to send you a cam and lifters with around 1000 miles on it for the cost of shipping. you declined again. and to my knowledge, offered again to ship you the cam and lifters for free and you declined again.

hows that for going out of his way to make you a fair deal?

you have had more problems than i can count over the last 4 months trying to get this engine running. how can anybody be sure that something you did caused the damage to this engine, which, nobody knows for sure, due to your lack of diagnostic skills. there are so many factors

it would be alot easier to say: "hey, this guy sold me an engine with a wiped out cam lobe" but you cant say that. maybe you over reved it and thats why the rocker stud was broken. who knows.

at this point, 5 months after the sale, i wouldnt be interested in refunding the money, and certainly not after you bring it out in the open like this.

like steve kibbe said, im done with this thread now.

10. 78Suburban

the story... wow, where do I begin.
    4 months ago I pulled out a motor that was only holding 5 oil pressure, for fear it would spin a bearing. It ran good, just low oil pressure. I bought this motor for $350. He threw in a windshield (I can get those from cheap to free around here), a think replacement rocker ($20 in jcwhitney), and a 4x4 steering box, which I didn't need, but he said he was scrapping it, and I might as well take it.
    He was coming down here to pick up crossover parts. He brought it down, it was all cleaned up and painted. The spark plugs has silver paint over the rust, that was kinda odd.
    I swapped it in, with the carb that was on it. Fired it up, it had a bad clacking under the valve covers, I mentioned it to a few of my buddies, but I told them, surely its nothing internally wrong, because I believed that he was an honestly guy, and he claimed it ran great when he pulled it out of the truck he was parting out.
    Tried 3 carbs, 2 dizzy's, 3 sets of plug wires, changed the intake... Several different timing settings. Finally pulled the valve covers, and holy crap, there it was, rockers so loose it was rediculous. a stud nearly sheared in half. Replaced the stud and bent pushrod, adjusted all the valves, and cranked it up. It ran ok for a few days, now running crappy again. Something in the valve train is probably messed up. timing chain, camshaft, mulitiple pushrods, rockers, lifteres, ect... heck the valves on the head may be messed up.
    I'm so sick of fooling with this motor that I've about given up on the suburban. I'm tired of throwing money into it. It has backfired through the carb and run horrible from day one. I've put well over $100 more into the turd. With all the time I've spent messing with it, I could have worked and earned money to buy a crate motor.
    Considering how it ran and sounded from day one, I know without a shadow of a doubt that I was knowingly screwed. Some of his loyal buddies will tell you otherwise. The guy's got a good rep, and really really friendly with people. Knows how to play the games. He saw a noob and found a chance to unload a turd he was constipated with, and had the nerve to call it a good deed.
    I think his word stands better than mine, because he's been here longer, and has a good rep. That still doesn't change what happened. Oh well, I'm screwed, the motor issues aren't my fault, but what can I do. If had any sense, I would have pulled the valve covers the first day I cranked it up, and immediately reported it to ck5... oh well. I've learned some valualbe things.
    How to swap a motor
    How to do numberous troubleshooting procedures
    A valuable lesson about human nature..

That is all,
    James

11. 78Suburban

No, I never heard that offer. He said that he was cranking it up and letting locals hear it run. Never said anything about me driving the truck.
    I also tracked down the guy who owned it before him, and he said that truck didn't even have a floor :laugh:

Oh well, this guy has a loyal following, he's untouchable. I don't care anymore. If it makes tons of people hate me oh well, its not right to just not say anything about it. I'm just going to get a new motor and quick fooling with this POS. And I'm not going to go wheeling in SC, cause I might get shot at with all the people I've pissed off.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used to have this car I bought as temporay transportation while I was working on my truck. An '85 Buick Skylark, nothing much to look at but in reasonable shape looks wise. It ran well, got me better than 26 mpg and most surprising to me didn't leak a drop of oil.

After I was done with it and had my truck back on the road I gave the car to a very good friend...something that ran well, seemed in good shape and would give his wife something to run around in.

Within days it began randomly stranding his wife...it also started leaking so much oil sea birds were spontaneously dying around it. A tire separated at the sidewall and it runs pretty crappy even with a ton of stuff done to it. A nightmare in short, for my friend and also for me. If I had any idea I would have sent it to the crusher instead. Sometimes sh!t happens, and I know my friend understands...

I don't know you or the other person, but $350 for a running delivered engine isn't a ton of money...and isn't likely enough money to convince anyone to drive 7 hours if as you claim he was just out for the money. I think it's more likely that it ran well for him and decided to die once you got it. It may seem premeditated, but I'm telling you from first hand experience that buying and selling used parts can be risky and that this sort of crap does happen. It does sound like he tried to help you out...

I'm not saying either of you are wrong...or right. I'm just not convinced there was any concious effort to separate you from your cash by supplying you with a known bad engine.

If for the price he had offered up any sort of warranty that'd be different IMO.

As for your old engine with the 5psi at idle...did you check it with a known good oil pressure guage? The factory guages lie like a rug and cannot be relied on...

I'd cut the guy some slack and just deal with the situation the best you can...whether that be another engine, repair this one or buy a crate.

Rene

13. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had a 350 in a Burb that ran 80,000 miles reading only 5 psi oil pressure, don't know what it actually runs because when I wrecked the burb and put it in the K5 I never hooked the guages up but its still running well after 5years of abuse in 2 different 4x4's.

I don't think you got screwed. I think you need more guidance/help messing around with engine internals.

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

WHat I hope you learned is not to buy a used eng w/o hearing it run, then expecting to work when you get there. It does not sound like a screw job to me, and at this point I have no idea who the other party is, nor have I heard any of his side of the story.

Used parts are just that- USED.

15. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Was the motor you purchased in it at this time?
    Clicky

If it was, it might have had a loose rocker, but taking something to a mud pit and wide open throttle...

I'm not trying take any sides, I don't want to make you mad. I do hope you can either get the motor you purchased running or save up to buy a new motor.

16. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My brother a bought 71 Monte for body parts, couple years ago. I got the engine for $100.00 pulled the covers off and it looked like a new one. 110,000 miles.Evidently well maintained. It lasted 7 years for me, no smoke for a couple of years then it went downhill fast. My neighbor bought the 350 trans for $50.00, put it in a Trans Am with a Chevy motor and dogged it for about a week. He was madder n 'ell it started slipping and quit working completely. Used stuff is a roll of the dice and should be expected to fail if abused..............even new stuff fails on occasion. My $.02........

17. 78Suburban

Ok, Game over, he wins. End of story. He was in the right, I was in the wrong. He's a saint. Sorry I brought it up. Clarkjw24 is a stand up guy, and would never knowingly screwanyone over. Sorry I said it.

18. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My thoughts, exactly..................

19. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

James, you and I get along good, dont think i'm attacking you. I honestly didn't know who it was until you just said it, but that aside, do you think that its possibly something other than black and white? What if he sold you a motor that he thought was good and due to his error you got a bad motor. Just because someone sold you a bad motor DOES NOT mean they did it on purpose with the intention of "screwing a noob".

20. 78Suburban

I know I'm dead wrong and it was 100% my fault. But just to clear up a few things, she was running badly before I limped through that little mud hole at half throttle. Yes, half throttle, anything above it ran horribly. Very little power, backfiring, ect.. When I did tighten the rocker studs, replace the stud, and bent push rod, it was a temporary fix, but now running badly again.
    Here's a few threads if anyone's interested. Yes, it did take me about a month to do the motor swap, because my exhausst tore, and I had to get it welded back up. You can search that under all the threads started by me..

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157483

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158419

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161787

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162070

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166116

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165128

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169905

Oh well, I have a ton of studying to do, I've neglected my academics sitting at this stupid comuputer. I'm a retarded noob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.