Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would you do...if you needed a new engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jul 29, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

say you had a lifted k5 and you loved it to death. you wanted to drive it everywhere, but gas got so expensive. you currently have a semi-tired 350tbi and are thinkin about the future, and looks like a new motor in going under the hood when the current one goes. keep in mind you want to get "decent" gas milage to be able to drive it around town and on trips occasionally. would you rather swap in a vortec 350 out of a newer chevy and build it up a little bit, or cross your fingers and find a crashed 12v cummins? if i did get a diesel i think id want a newer one (i want 600hp and 1000tq..who doesnt:haha: ) and would probably cost more than the 350 (prolly need new tranny to take it) but get better mpg.

now that you read my sad story, what would you do? ive gatta start planning for the future:D

2. pitbulls'n'blazers

pitbulls'n'blazers Registered Member

Both are good ideas, but my favorite is the cummins. Right now me and my Dad are useing my K5 for pulling a trailer, but we are lookin to get a 5.9 12V Cummins Dodge dualie for pullin'. I didn't evan know you could put a cummins in a K5?:thumb: It would sound AWESOME!! Or you could go with the Vortec,also a good engine. Does it matter if it's diesel, gas or moonshine(Ethanol)?:D If it wouldn't be to much trouble go with the Cummins, but if you could just drop in a vortec 350, than that might be the way to go?

Good luck!!

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

4BTA if you can find one, it'll be simpler and more fuel efficient than its 6 cylinder cummins breathern

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Get a cheap car and drive it everywhere.....

Seems to me lack of planning is biting you in the ass... Did you not plan for fuel mileage to be an issue with your truck? I thought you were going to swap in a 6.2? Why do you want a Vortec, if you want power then dont even go there because the CFI is power limiting on those and fuel mileage gain if any wont be worth the cost. Just swap a 6.2 in if your dead set on getting "decent" mileage. Its the easiest and most cost efficient.

Sounds like you shouldve planned for all this before hand but hindsight is 20/20 right?

5. pitbulls'n'blazers

pitbulls'n'blazers Registered Member

He's got a point. Save the truck for fun and get a car with good mpg.:thinking:

6. muddybuddy

im just lookin for ideas :) im just bs'n right now haha. at this point in time my rents dont want me gettin another vehicle for dd'ing. otherwise i would have gotten one by now. so i guess the diesel really is the best option. i think it was yellowk20 that was sayn he was gettn 15mpg with a small block and 38s or something...hopefully a tune-up will fix the truck and ill magically get 20mpg :)

im just asking for opinions on what i should when my motor does eventually go out...they dont last forever...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

how about looking for a 5.3L with cylinder deactivation? i'm sure people are wrecking them already, and all of them that i've seen are very reliable. although, they haven't been out long enough to know for certain.

i understand not planning ahead. i'm glad my k5 is just my toy, but even my dd doesn't get great mileage. but gas was cheap when i bought both of them. i knew it would increase, but not so dramatically and so quickly. but, it's still cheaper to drive my gas-hogs than to buy a decent gas-sipper.

8. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i put a 5.7 votec in my '86 k5. it wasn't very hard and i was able to keep everything california emissions legal. i haven't been able to notice a significant increase in mpg, but the power increase seems like its doubled copared to my old carburated 350. i don't know the smog laws in your state, but here in ca, you can't put a diesel engine into a truck originally equipped with a gasoline engine and still be street legal. in ca you just simply would not be able to have current tags if it won't pass a smog inspection. being that yours is a dd, you may want to check your local smog laws before you start making such drastic changes.

9. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

383 built for low end torque, tuned for economy and keep your God Da** foot out of it

10. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

If I was worried about fuel economy (which I'm not), I'd buy something like a '95 Samurai (if wanted a 4x4), or an '88-89 Toyota MR2 (I always liked those). In any case, if mpg was on my mind, I wouldn't even think of buying a full-sized, 4x4, low-geared truck in the first place!

What to do when the engine needs replaced? That depends on your budget, but I'd lean toward a GM crate engine, and an EFI big block if my budget sufficed. We don't smog test here, so emission-legal isn't an issue.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To me, for cost and effort, diesels are the way to go for economy. I would assume it's the same for the diesels as it is for the gas engines: go bigger, you lose eonomy. Pretty universal concept. :)

I like my TPI rig, but doing it all over again, it wouldn't be a gen I small block. It'd be a 6L gas or small diesel.

12. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I am kindda in the same boat. I've contemplated going with a 4bt over a crate engine. I own a small restaurant and produce about 10 gallons of WVO every week (only to pay to have it hauled away:mad: ). I was thinking about making biodiesel or running new veggie oil (with my supplier I can get VO for $2-3/gallon and control what country it is made in, mostly US and India). For me I would save twice if I made Bio, not hauling away and almost free fuel. But a 4bt swap would cost about $5-6k and a crate would be about 2K. I could also use the biodiesel as a marketing ploy to get the tree huggers to come eat a my store:wink1: . Someone please calculate how far I would have to drive a year to make the Bio pay for itself, my brain hurts from thinking too much.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Quick math, and I suck at it, looks like you'd need to use about 1000 gallons (assuming $3/gallon for diesel) to break even on the swap, which at 20MPG would be 20,000 miles. Just over a year of driving for "average" Americans. That's not factoring in any additional costs. (fuel heater, external mods needed to fit the diesel, etc)

Of course, whatever energy you put into refining the biodiesel (no clue what it involves) you have to pay for as well, which would add to the cost. In the long run it has to be cheaper, since your base is essentially free/unused at this point, as long as energy used to convert the base to a fuel isn't more than the price of diesel on the open market.

14. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Muddy, if your still interested in the GM deisel, friend of mine still has the army truck. Just FYI...

15. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

My research shows that it's about $.70-.80 to refine biodiesel.

16. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Umm yeah...thats just not gonna happen...

17. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Haha muddy is hoping for 20 with a tune up! :haha:

18. muddybuddy

:haha: the 20mpg was clearly a dream. i wish it was true.

i currently dont need a motor, but when the time comes, i would like to kind of have a basic idea of what i want to do. i guess the 6.2 is still the most cost effective way to do it.

quick question, when adding a turbo on a 6.2, does that help or hurt the economy?

19. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Here are options i would consider from easiest to hardest. If your worried about mileage get a diesel or drive something else.

1. New 350tbi w/vortec heads
    2. 383tbi w/vortec heads -my personal favorite
    3. 454tbi -not something I would do
    4. 6.2 with or without a turbo kit (circle "with")
    5. 6.5? I really dont know mucha bout this swap.
    6. A newer, non genIII/IV multiport motor (vortec 350/ lt1)
    7. genIII/IV swap
    8. cummins swap
    9. jet engine - have fun trying to find t-case adapters. :D

There are two main points that you need to think about
    1. You have tbi. switching to something else, will be time/money consuming
    2. get what you like the most, you will regret it in the future.
    I know of both of these and have suffered twice, and Im just now getting what I want.

Edit: You drive a blazer, paying for gas sucks, deal with it. Trying to save gas everywhere will only cause headaches.
    Edit #2: None of the above options reflect how "badass" a motor might be.

20. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

383 and set it up to run both gas and e-85.

Oh and keep your foot out of it.

Consider many people driving what you consider a annoying economy wedge are paying over 400.00 a month on just the car, and it will take a life time for them to earn back what they spend on payments vs saving on gas.

So no matter what you are going to pay one way or the other.