Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Would You Do?....kinda long so bear with me.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Jan 1, 2003.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Ok here goes,
    I have a 75 GMC jimmy (full convertable....I like that),
    but it has lot's'o'problems.THe wheel tubs are rusted,front floor's got holes, fenders are gone (no biggie there) rockers are gone too. I just got a 86 K-5 that went through 9 trees (ouch) front trashed, but good from firewall back.THe 86 as y'all know is "1/2 cab", I really want to fix the 75 for these reasons.1 no emissions,2 it's a fully topless blazer (last year I think). The 86 on the other hand just needs another frame and front clip, The motor,tranny/t-case, top, rear is mint. My problem is this.... Do I take the 86 body and put it on the 75 chassis,and all other goodies,(motor tranny/t-case axles,etc) and run the 86? Or do I cannibalize everything I need from said 86, and repair the tubs,floors, etc. on the 75, and have no emissions to worry about? I live in N.C. and I've heard that the "sniffer" test is comming to weatern nc this year. Or a last resort.......scrap both and just live with my K-10, and keep parts from both to help in the "building" of my K-10? The 86 has power everything that I'd like to have in my truck (just because he he). THanks for your time everyone.

Conoverbandit

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I would just make the 86 nice.

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I would fix up the 75. The full removeable top has a cool factor of like 10000000000 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

4. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

How about making the 86 topless /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. That would be awesome!

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

DEFINITELY fix up the 75!!! Full tops are the only way to go. The emissions freedom is a plus, and you can't beat those round headlights!!! Don't mind all that rust if she still goes down the road.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

couldnt you just graft the 75 windshield frame and VIN onto the 86 body and get a new front clip? that would be pretty bad ass i think.

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

took the words right out of my mouth!!

nathan

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Topless + no smog = FUN!

I would try and merge the two into a 75. Provided you have the time, tools, and materials.

I think the floors would be the worst part to deal with.

Depending on what you plan to do with the truck, if you get 4x4irons rocksliders these take care of your rocker problems forever!

My door bottoms have had hole in them since I got the truck. I put some Bondo-glass on them five years ago, and they are just now starting tom come through again. The problem with these doors, is how the top piece is cut, and a little plate is welded inside to hole the seal trim to them. Kind of a PITA to me, hence, I haven't done it yet. Getting door skins (or grafting on another door skin) is easier to me.

Good luck.

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I would go for the 75, hands down.
    Way cooler.
    I have a truck, but if I had a blazer it would have to be a first gen or a 73-75.
    -- Mike

10. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

muddin4fun (lara) did that to her 79, she got a windshield graft and made hers a full top. so graft the 75 to the 86, you didn't hear this here, and then try to register it as your 75 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I would go for the 75, just because NC is about to be assholes about emissions, and the 75 is way cooler. I gotta make some friends with the local shows and really fast. My brother's 92 Firebird has NO emissions stuff, my 79 TA is about to get dual cats, which is illegal(what BS) and my 77 TA has no cats. Most of my cars are going to be illegal!

12. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

You can rebuild the '75 with parts from the '86. I have a '75 and I wouldn't go any newer because of the top. I have put newer stuff in my '75 and soon will be installing '2002 seats. You can even use the doors from the '86 just by cutting the top of the window frame.

The '75 gets my vote.

13. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

ok, here is what I did. I love the topless trucks, but in the northeast anything over 5 years old is a rusted piece of #$%@%&#$!!!!!!!!!!. My so called 73 is really an 87 tub with the 73 firewall grafted on. I have some pics I can get you of some of the work. The problems I encountered were

1. the 80 up floor pans do NOT lay down on 79 older frames. some of the rear mounts are in different location. I had to use a body lift for it to clear and sit without hacking up frame. no biggie, just really didn't want a body lift.

2. the full top trucks have an extra support rail down the rockers to stiffen the body that the 76 up trucks don't have. This was also was not a big deal for me because I installed a competition roll cage. but just a smitty bilt with front hoop intalled would take care of that problem.

other than those 2 things it wasn't a big deal. I didn't do the Initial conversion, I bought it with that part done, but thats all the guy did. If I had done it, I would have only changed the windsheild frame. would have been ALOT easier!

14. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

after wrecking my 75 I decided to do a frame up, the only thing I havent rep[laced is the winshuield frame and the floors, althogh I do have a floor waiting to go in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

any ways I was new to all this but even when I see a beater 73-75 I smole cause there is potintial, the rockers arnt that hard to replace and if your only worried about the over all look go wit cheap panels, these arnt oem quality but it you might damage a fender there is no crying involved.

rockers 10.00
    door 50.00
    hood 70.00
    fender 30.00

see its not that bad is it, who want s emissions? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

if ya need more info pm me and I can get you a #

later, and I personally like um topless that have covered in a teaseing way /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

sorry after reading my post I realized my spelling sucks, good thing school sters up on monday /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif