Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do? Opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by medeng8, May 19, 2006.

?

What to do?

Poll closed May 22, 2006.
  1. Fix heads

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Replace engine

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Sell it as is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. medeng8

medeng8 Registered Member

I have some bad luck. I bought this Blazer (87) a little over a week ago. It ran well, didnt smoke and it looks like it was serviced on a regular basis. I noticed the radiator has a bit of a leak, so I replaced it, this past Tuesday, no problem, stuff happens.

So I am running a few errands today and I start it up, and it was not for the first time, and I see white smoke, which I got a whiff of. I thought to myself, "there went my head gasket." I got a second opinion from a few mechanics I know, and they said the same. It does not smoke while driving, just after it has sat and then started.

My dilemma. Spend the money to do the head gaskets and all thats involved? Put in a new engine? Or throw some stop leak in it and sell it? Understand I will have to have someone install the engine, as I dont have the time or resources to do it myself. I know stuff happens, but damn, already? LoL

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

you sure its not a bluish white? if it only does it on startup its more than like valve seals

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

This is likely a precursor to future events. Any vehicle that is at least 15 years old will have issues. Get prepared if you decide to keep it.

I would say buy a set of tools and learn some mechanicen'.

4. medeng8

I know its not that. I know what that looks like. The smoke has a sweet smell to it.

5. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well what do i know:D

6. medeng8

DPI:

I have plenty of tools and I am not afraid to do most of my work and have on most of my vehicles. I just dont have enough tools and space right now. I am in the army and travel as light as possible and never in one spot long enough to grow roots. This truck is 19 years old and I didnt expect it to be perfect or not need some repair.

I am just looking for opinions on what other members would do if in the same situation.

BigBlaze:

No problem. I have had 3 Suburbans prior and they all had that pronlem. This is my 1st Blazer. I should have stuck with Suburbans lol

7. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I would keep it and fix it. Sorry for your bad luck.

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

All I was saying is that these do not make the best daily drivers without expecting some work. Just be prepared to have to work on it, either pay someone or do it yourself if you can...

Its all good.

Mine is not a daily driver and I have to work on it everytime I do drive it - and it's a '90 model.

9. medeng8

DPI:

Its no problem, I took no offense :thumb: .

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Try sealer. If that didn't work, the problem didn't get worse and you're only out a day & $10.

11. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If it's white smoke , it could be a bad modulater valve on the trans dumping trans fluid into your intake . Check trans level or pull vac line at valve and check for fluid . Assuming you have a TH350 trans

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

If you didn't like older vehicle you wouldn't have bought the Blazer in the first place.... This is part of having an older vehicle, repairs and tinkering is par for the course! There are few questions for you; 1) How many miles are on the blazer? 2) What size motor is in it? 3) what was you plans for this K5?

If it has over 100K miles or if it's a 305 I would replace it with a 350 longblock....

Or repair the head gasket....

13. medeng8

FOR MUD:

I am 99% sure its head related as the smell of the smoke is sweet like coolant and the trans is a TH700

Cmoe:

Your right I expected repairs and I do like older trucks. I have had a 88, 89, and 90 Suburban in the past and I worked on them all. It was no problem at that time as I was married and could always get a ride to work. The Blazer is my only 4 wheel transpo and I have. So when my DD goes down now, I kind of have a problem. I am not really pissed that something happened, just didnt expect it a week after I buy it as I was not ready for it.

Its an 87 by the way with approx 173k on a 350. My plans for it was to have a reliable daily driver and get me to my next duty station. I still think its a good truck. I guess I just dont want to part with the money for a new engine. I know I can just do the heads, but it would be my luck that later on down the road I would have another major issue.

14. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I would replace the engine, unless you are really strapped for money.If you do opt for new head gaskets, I would at least have the heads checked for warpage. The GM crate engines are pretty good bargains, plus they come with a warranty, I believe.