Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do? (pics)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/pe9c5095cc48aa2ce8b5ffcbd0f109cd9/fdc6d038.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/pc898efd396ba4c84365bd980dfd0635d/fdc6d031.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/p7e0172bf4f5b48f48df505ee4e64d6c3/fdc6d03f.jpg

That's the rear of my new 700R4. That's one of the 4 threaded holes that Tcase adaptor would mount up to.
    Some of yall know that I stripped those threads b/c I put in 3/8" bolt instead of 10mm.
    I was using the "Form-a-Thread" from Loctite to see if that would fix it. (I wanted to try this route before I went with the thread certs b/c I didn't have much room to drill out the hole).

I put in the "Form-a-thread" in the hole and put the releasing agent on the bolt. Screwed the bolt in and let it sit for about 10 min. As I was removing the bolt, I noticed it was really tough to get out. I put some muscle into it and SNAP!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Here is what it looks like with the broken piece put back on:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/pe9c5095cc48aa2ce8b5ffcbd0f109cd9/fdc6d038.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/paa662a2011e60eff6a45454c3fd2f06a/fdc6d020.jpg

As you can see, it's a fairly clean break.
    I have no experience in welding aluminum or cast aluminum for that matter, so not sure if I want to attempt that.
    Just looking for ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Boss

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I Think you should take it to a good welding/blacksmith shop and ask them to fix it. It shouldn't cost too much
    If it was me I would weld it back togeather fill in the bolt hole the best I could then drill it out and tap it. But I have a good TIG welder.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Looks like what happened to my block where the starter mounts. Broke right off. I had it welded, cost me $200 and the shop guaranteed it for life.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Take it in and have a pro weld it up. No sense making it worse than it is now. Aluminum is not for beginners, especially cast aluminum.

Rene

5. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, first choice is to go to a good reputable aluminum welder. Let them look at it and see if they think it can be welded and welded with or for strength. Might want to get them to just weld or build up a new ear for you to drill and tap into. Last option is to get a new tailhousing.

Depdog

6. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

LOOK MAN MY BUDDY HAS DONE THIS. NO PROBLEM JUST TAKE IT TO A GOOD WELDER AND HAVE IT CLEANED UP. THE MAIN THING TO DO IS DON'T USE THE BOLTS ANY MORE. WHAT YA NEED TO DO IS USE STUDS. IT WILL HELP MAKE IT STRONG AND KEEP IT FROM BREAKING AGAIN.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's not that bad. My bud managed to endo his 72 that had a 700r4 and 208 in it. Drive line went forward and axle went back. The drive line moved so much that the Rams horns he was running hit the engine mount bracket and snapped on off. The drive shaft ran out of spline, bottomed out and ripped the transfer case off the back of the the 700. A MAJOR chunk of the tranny came with it down at the bottom where the mount for the 2wd would go. I kept telling him to go buy a blown 700 and I would help him swap the guts. That 700 was built. That thing shifts hard and handles plenty of power. I have seen that truck come out of a hole and catch a water bar and keep the front wheels off the ground on Shear HP and torque for 30 ft. He was really worried that it would not be the same.
    Well he talked me into trying to fix it. Lucky it was a clean break. There was also plenty of metal left where the bolt went. I JB Welded the broken chunk back in. I then Drilled it deep where I could get to some solid unborken case. I set Heli coils in all four holes. The hole that had the chunk broken off I set the heli deep and used a longer bolt. I made a brace using the 2wd mounting boss and bridging it to the adaptor base to give it some extra strength. It's been going strong LOL.
    This was that OD 72 on 36's that was at Dixie run if you saw it. You might have had to pass it if you came back to where I was camped looking for me. That was a year after I did the repair. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif JB Weld is awsome.
    On yours the way it's broken Welding is the best option. Then Heli coil it. Heli coils are awsome. I use to mess with Air cooled VW's. When ever you took one of those aluminum cases appart you had to Heli coil them. If you do it right it will last for ever. Just be very carefull that your drilling and tapping perfectly straight. Setting a stud and Loc Tite it in would not be a bad idea at all.

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Thanks for the advice(s) everyone. I'll take it to a welder and see what they can do. Thanks for the suggestion on using a stud too /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Boss
    ps, Grim, I think I did see that 72'. Very nice /forums/images/icons/smile.gif