Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would you do? (transmission)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ghenshaw, Jul 11, 2001.

1. ghenshaw

ghenshaw Newbie

I posted a littlewhile ago about a leak from the front of my 700R4. My first thought was the pump seal, but after looking closely at the converter while it was under the truck i saw that there wasn't even a drop of oil on the lip of the seal that you can barely see, but there was still fluid coming down the back of the convertor. anyway, i took it to the local trans shop to see what they thought and they said that the hub on the convertor can sometimes crack at the weld causing a leak etc... i have also had some other problems lately with the transmission seeming to drop out of overdrive when cruising. and today something new happened. when the light turned green at a stop light i went to accelerate and nothing happened for a second, then it clunked into action and spun the tires. i wasn't gunning it or anything.?!? the three others gears seem to be working fine. after test driving the truck with the trans guy he said he 'felt' like something was starting to happen with the overdrive. so, knowing that i have to take the transmission down anyway to replace the piece of crap Advance Auto convertor, i was wondering about the price the trans shop guy gave me for a rebuild. if i bring the transmission to them he quoted around $700. my question is, is it better to let them do this rebuild and replace any bad parts in this otherwise working transmission, or should i just look around for a replacement that i could get for half as much? or, could all these other problems be stemming from this bad convertor? any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If it is a reputable shop and you are having problems, let them rebuild it. OR you could get a Jet or B&M from Summit or Jegs..

$700 is not bad to rebuild a 700r4! I know two people who have had them done. One was in a van and it was $900 and one was in a 90 1/2 ton with a 383 for $1400.. Both done at Rossler Transmission in Giard, OH..

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>

3. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

$700 dollars isn't bad if he is good, down here it costs as much as it would if i just bought a bullet proof trans from jet or b&m

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I agree that 700 bucks is a good deal! Do you know when it was rebuilt(if ever) last? If you don't or it hasn't been rebuilt, I'd go ahead and rebuild that sucker!

Murphy's Laws on Life:
    "A bird in the hand is worth three Kleenex."

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, $700's a fair price, but if you're going to do the install/removal yourself, you might just want to lok into a new bulletproof one from Jet or B&M.

Here's a picture of the torque convertor from my old S10 700R4. Crappy photo, but if you look really close, you can see how the input shaft housing has a split running down it... That leads to the weld around the base, which I vaguely remember also has some split forming.
    http://k5.8m.com
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

6. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Honestly,if you can handle removing the trans then you can handle the rebuild yourself!We just rebuilt our first 700r last week and it was surprisingly easy,with the right manual and 1 special tool you can do it yourself for around 200 bones!!!!!!!!
    E-mail me with any questions if you decide to do it!!!!!!!!!