Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 99firehawk, Feb 27, 2004.

1. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I decideded to take the job, have to put in my notice tomorrow..................Im really dreading it .......but such is life. I hope this job works out, Ive always had a thing for 911s. I also want to thank every body for the advice. so :chug: this is for you all.

So I am considering a new career. I was offered a positon today at a porsche/audi dealer. I am an ase master tech, and I was offered 23 an hour to start as a porsche aprentice, which will last a maxium of 6 months. After that I will get 2-3$ a raise and be on my own. Now This is a no brainer I know. "take the job" But The down side is after my "training" They want me to work 4pm-midnight. I really dont want to work that shift, and they also shell out 3$ extra an hour to work the 2nd shift.
    So what does everyone think, what shifts does every body else work and how do they like it. I am curently working 11am-7pm for substanianly less.

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: What would you do

In the trade that i do,i sometimes work some good 14 hr days non-stop emergency plumbing service........i noticed that my family really started to miss me.I noticed when i would get home,it seemed my boy was bigger and older everytime i saw him.My wife started to get distant,it was after a while like i was a stranger to them.I was really rakin in the money,but wasnt all that happy,and tired all the time.I stopped doing that,and now work less.And now back to normal.Sometimes even a thou a day isnt woth it when people count on you,id say,if you have a wife and kids,DONT.If ya dont,go for it...........Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

ditto

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Be very careful if there is a wife and kids.

I used to truck OTR, and I feel it had a big impact on the destruction of my family.

I currently work a much lesser paying job, that I like. The hours are flexible. I have a lot of time to spend with my daughter, baseball games and such, and I have more now than I ever did while trucking.

The rewards that I fet from that little firl far outweigh anything that I could buy her, and who knows, she might actually turn out to be a contributing member of society....

5. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Swing is better than graveyard, but I'm with these guys on the Family Thing. If you have a wife, or a wife and kids, then no amount of money is worth sacrificing time with them. Besides, there are a lot of opportunities to work regular shifts. Any chance they would put you on days if you told them that was the only way you would do it?

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What would you do

[/ QUOTE ]

Start this thread in the right forum............ /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Nuke Berkeley or nuke broccoli? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I agree with the others. If ya gots a family I wouldn't do it. 4-12 isn't a bad shift, it won't mess your sleeping patterns up at all. I unloaded trucks at Target for a few months. My shift was from 10p-9a and sometimes to noon, 6 days per week. It was pretty good money since I was getting a lot of overtime each week. But I'm single w/ no kids. I also didn't have a social life at all. Hell I slept from noon to 6-7 then I went to the gym then to work. So, IMO with a 4-midnight shift you can still have a life...but I would certainly take the job, that way you have no regrets....

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Dude there is money in them there cars. I'd definetally go for the Porsche job. If I do the job you are I will go to school for BMWs or smoething, there is just more money there. I'd say go for it, it will be horrible but you will be very happy afterwards.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've worked second shift for the last 6 1/2 years. I have a wife and two kids and it does work, but it takes some adjusting. I work this shift so that I can raise my kids while my wife is at work, and not have to pay smeone else to watch them during the day. 4-12 is cake.

I work 2:15pm to 12:45am mon to thurs plus whatever overtime we might have.

I also find that most places will let you swap from afternoons to dayshift after you've been there a while. The money is definitely good...I'd do it.

Rene

11. 99firehawk

TTT any body else have opitions?

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Do it, it wont last forever... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Do it!

Edit: obviously I'm more druck than I thought I am. Hell I already posted! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I may be in the minority, but I personally love 2nd shift. I'm a night person, so working until midnight and then staying up until about daylight is just my thing. Having a cool job that lets me do that would be just the thing! I'd say on the whole deal!

15. 99firehawk

updated

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Cool! You'll get used to it after a few days... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif