Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do with this combo, which cam, how much power expected?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ok, I am tired of trying to figure this engine out and the previous owner and the engine builder dont remember what what into it so I htink after the holidays I am goign to tear the top end off and see.

What I know for sure:

1989 350 block bored 30over
    Trick Flow Twisted Wedge alum. heads milled .008"(supposedly)
    Scat 383 crank
    Manley 6" rods
    KB Hyperu pistons(will find out soon on what type ie dome, dish, flattop..)
    Comp Cam - unknown specs. Supposedly a carb'd cam, but is the largest cam that can be used with EFI(according to the builder)
    Compression - I think I remember the original ratio of 10.5:1 when it was first built and 11.5:1 after the resurfacing and new(thinner) gaskets.
    Rockers are stamped steel- unknown ratio

What would you do with this combo? What cam would you use with a TBI? Looking for a cam with a good low end for towing but something with a decent mid and top end for the occasional races and truck pulls.

Would like it to run on 94 so I am going to see about getting another set of thick copper head gaskets to bring the compression down.

I am going to contact the builder again and see if he can either dig up records(if he keeps them) or see if he can remember..

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You might be able to use a head with larger chambers to get the CR down...then sell the TFW heads.

I have heard the CC260H is about as aggressive a cam as the TBI will handle, good news is that it does make very good low end power.

Rene

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Or go with a thicker, non-copper head gasket to get the CR down. With the TBI, makes it hard to use a cam large enough to bleed off cylinder pressure. I have seen TBI engines use the 260HR with good results, and that was with stock cast iron cylinder heads.

4. Emmettology 101

Ya, I just hate ot get rid of the Trick FLows.. I will use that as a last resort.

5. Emmettology 101

I haven't looked very hard, but haven't seen a thick head gasket that isn't copper. Do you know of a company that does?

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

How thick is your current head gasket (maybe I should know that before recommending a thicker one /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)?

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

IIRC, Rene is correct about the CC260H cam...a lot of the 454ss guys run the 260HR and suggest that one...In the 454 TBI I am building for my blazer, I am going to be using the grind #2020 flat tappet cam...it is has a super low duration and lift at the valve that is less than .500" on both I/E...it will be a torque motor...Do you want more low end torque or a high revving high horse stroker...It sounds like the motor has a solid base...maybe throw on some roller rockers?!?! but cam selection really is based on how you want to use the engine...

Chris

8. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

I ran a crane 2050 ( largest compucam california legal ) in my 383 and it worked really well for me, the only problem i had was my heads were crap and couldnt take advantage of the upperend. off idle torque was good and nice little Idle. but then next engine i build im going roller cam all the way. according to DD2000 they make much better power on the engines ive made on it.

9. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Comp Cam - unknown specs. Supposedly a carb'd cam, but is the largest cam that can be used with EFI(according to the builder)

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you don't know the specs, so don't think I'm flaming you personally, but I love hearing things like this. "It's got the biggest cam they make, prolly around 8-900 HP!" This gives me an idear for a new post......

10. Emmettology 101

Supposedly it is a stock Fel-Pro.... They had thick copper gaskets under the heads in the beginning but they started leaking. I would like to go back to the coppers if I can find a way to keep them from leaking. Not sure what the size of the thicks that were in it before, but for some reason .040" pops to mind.

11. Emmettology 101

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It would be nice ot have a cam with good power everywhere! But I would rather have good torque for pulling....

And as far as the solid base, the bottom end is supposedly good to 10K-12K rpm! *evil grin* BUt with a torquey cam, that doesn't mean much.

12. Emmettology 101

Ya, I hate saying I dont know, but the original owner was sort of left in the dark by the builder and the last time he checked with the builder he couldn't remember. Such fun.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    And as far as the solid base, the bottom end is supposedly good to 10K-12K rpm!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I bet. Well, if you do take it apart, Comp Cams stamps the cam part ## right on the front of it. You'll be able to look it up no sweat. I gotta believe that it can't be that big if the guy still used stamped rockers. But then again.....

14. Emmettology 101

Ya, you never know. I was hoping Comp Cams did that. All I need to do then is pull the water pump and timingi chain cover/set and I will know what it is! Thanks!!!!!

I wasn't real impressed witht his engine builder beofre my friend took this engine to him and most of us tried talking him into goign to a different builder but he wouldn't listen.