Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do with this truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by qualt, May 7, 2004.

1. qualt

qualt Newbie

Ok, I know I am opening myself up for some strange and/or funny answers, but this really is a dilemma for me, so maybe somebody will write something I haven't yet considered.

I have just re-purchased a 1973 Chevrolet ¾ ton K20 pick-up with a Big Block 454 engine and a turbo 400 automatic trans, but now that I re-own it, I'm not sure what to do with it.

I bought this truck new in 1973, and a number of years ago I installed the Big Block engine and the Turbo 400 Trans. The engine has about 30,000 miles on it since rebuilt. It is a good engine with a 4 bolt main block, and lots of other good stuff. The truck chassis has less then 95,000 original miles on it. The axles have 4.10 gears and it has the factory rear locker.

I used this truck for the first 26 years of it's life just to haul my off-road toys to the desert, so the 4 wheel drive parts have seen very little off road use.

The body and glass are in good condition but it has some minor rust bubbles (California minor, not east coast minor!) under the paint by the doors and front fenders, but it has sat outside for several years so paint doesn't look all that shinny.

In 1999 I sold this truck to a friend, and I bought it back in 2004 because he said the transmission was bad, he didn’t have time to work on it and wanted it out of his yard. The engine runs well, the brakes are good, and it drives fine around the yard, but the transmission slips so it will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

I only have $500 invested in the truck at this point, so what should I do with it, build it into something cool, sell it, or part it out? Actually, a better question would be, What would YOU do with it?

Joe

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I would remove the drivetrain, rebuild the TH400 and put in under a Blazer and wheel it, big block blazers are cool. When you get the money upgrade to a D60 front axle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you need a truck just rebuild the TH400 and go.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

If its still a solid good truck, I'd rebuilt the tranny and drive it!

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'd paint that one and tow my current Blazer with it. I'll give you the 500 you have in it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If its still a solid good truck, I'd rebuilt the tranny and drive it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

6. qualt

qualt Newbie

I forgot to add this: I don't need another daily driver because I have newer 4x4 truck, so ......hmmm? I like the Blazer idea, or.......maybe strip it put some 40" tires on it and make it into a off road beater?

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

doesnt it have a little sentimental value? i wouldnt part it out... Fix it up

8. qualt

qualt Newbie

Sentimental value? Hmmm? I guess maybe a little, but for most of it's life I just considered it a tool rather then a toy (except when I first bought it). Now with only $500 in it, it could be a toy or almost anything else I want to do with it. That's why I posed the "what would you do with this truck" question, to see what unique ideas came back. But I'm also not in any hurry, so maybe I should just "sit on it" for a while. I already had a guy want to trade for an old Jeep. I might have even /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif considered it if the Jeep was a little newer.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would find a 69 to 72 Blazer (Love that body style) with a good body and swap the axles, (Upgrade the front to a D60 when the cash flow is right.) Drop the 454 into it, and find a sm465/NP-205 combo to put in it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif