Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jul 27, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright heres the situation, in January I leave for school. I'm going to Wyotech in Blairsville PA. Its about 4 hours, and 260 miles from home. THe thing is, I've been planning on selling my 97 C2500. Its boring, its given me plenty of problems, and in the end I don't like paying a loan on such a boring mode of transport. I am planning on going back to my 89 3/4 ton burb. Now heres where we get into stuff, I will have to drive this thing back and forth from school and to school. I will only come home like every 3 months maybe a few times in between. There is suppossedly a 4x4 club out there I plan to join and do some wheeling so that the year I spend there won't be so boring. I can't take my K5 of course cause where would I store it? in my dorm room? Now likely no matter what when I get done school and secure a steady job, I will build a tube buggy. I'm going to school to learn to build chassis so it should be right up my alley by that point. When buggy time comes, the K5 will be literally scrapped. So heres what I've been mulling over in my head:

Option 1: Put some small lift(2.5-4") on the Burb, and some 33 or 35" MT tires. 14 bolt FF in the back instead of the semi float, regear the 10 bolt to match, drive and wheel it. This seems to be the best driveability option. But it leaves my K5 parked in the driveway rotting for a year.

Option 2: Remove the 60 from my K5 and sling it under the Burb. Sell my K5's IROKs and put some 37" MT/Rs or maybe 40"s on the Burb. 6" lift to clear tires with less trimming. Wouldn't be as driveable as the previous option but not too bad in my mind. I would scrap and sell parts off the K5 leaving nothing from it. Only other issue? 5.13 gears and 37" tires. (60 and 14 bolt have 5.13s waiting to be installed)

Option 3: Same as Option 2 except put some 38 or 39.5" TSLs under the Burb. Less driveable but better off the road.

Just having a hard time thinking about this, hate to tear the K5 up just a few months after I'm completing it but at the sametime, its just going to sit and rot away for a year(I will be out there a whole year).

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Do you ever plan to tow the rock buggy with the 'Burb????

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Option 4: Keep the Irok's and the 1 tons with 5:13's for the buggy and part the rest out and put a 14 bolt in the Burb with 4:56's and buy my 35's. Just go with a 3" TC lift. If your 1 tons already have gears in them and they are 4:10's or 4:56's just slap them under.

Option 5: Keep the 1 tons, but trade me your Irok's for my 37's and 35's. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Option 5. Buy a cheap car till you can check everything out around school, then go from there.

5. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

sigh.... I always here this kind of thing. and often struggle with it myself. (just my opinions here dude)
    1st) get rid of the 'new junk'. good move. that's monthly money to work with.
    2nd) dont wheel the burb. never make your DD and toy the same (i'm in that boat now; my honda and my '56 pickup are both broke and now my rig is what I hum around in everyday; careful what you wish for).
    you'll always break it when you need it most
    3rd) get out there and I'll bet you'll find a way to keep the k5 somewhere. there's always a sucker who has his buddies rigs on his lawn (usually me /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif). storage units cant be that expensive?! (now that you wont be paying on the new junk! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)
    I'd bet money that if you get out there planning on using the burb for wheeling and commuting bad things will happen.
    your probably 'used to' a built rig and spanking it from time to time right? ( /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif).
    and...sigh....I hate seeing people losing momentum on thier projects; which usually happens from borrowing parts from the truck.
    just my thoughts. dont take apart your toy!!!!

6. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Option 6- Give me your D60, & i'll give you my D44HD, and you can run some of those P-metric mudders & no lift.

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I voted for option 1. but I think you should keep all the part's from the K5 and put it on you tube buggy when the time comes and sell off the rest of the k5.