Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 16, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If this post should be in the lounge, then a mod can move it....

Originally I planned to have the k5 and all its guts off the frame before it snowed. Well its supposed to snow on Monday and I still have alot to do before I have the bare frame. I wanted to bring just the frame into the shop to prep and sandblast, then paint with a rust inhibitor. Now I can't. So my question is what would you do?

I could either work on it really hard and try to get as much done as I can before it snows. Then when it snows enough to piss me off, I put a tarp over it, and leave it until spring.

OR....

I could just say forget it, and just cover it up NOW and wait until next spring.

Those are my only options, I cant move it, and I doubt I will have enough time to get everything off the frame.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

go as far as you can go before it snow, then get the carharts on and work on it in the snow. then get your jimmy out and push the rolling chassis into the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif before oyu get too much snow.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    go as far as you can go before it snow, then get the carharts on and work on it in the snow. then get your jimmy out and push the rolling chassis into the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif before oyu get too much snow.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto!

I use to take the tarp off the frame of the willy's and work in the snow til i couldn't feel my hands or see when it got to dark and tarped it back up.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I dont have a garage. Just a shop, which is all wood, so I cant drive/push it in there.

5. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Quit and give me all your parts for free? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

J/K. Your a canadian, don't be a pussy. You can work when it's snowing out!

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Im not afraid of working in the snow, the problem is I have a hard time keeping track of my tools. So if one drops in the snow, I'm doomed.
    Also an engine crane doesn't roll to well in the snow.
    I MIGHT see if I can use the carport to take everything apart in there, then get some friends to help me carry the bare frame into the shop.
    But then my moms car is stuck in the snow everyday /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Tarp the area in front of the Jimmy as well. Even if you just lay it on the ground. When it stops snowing drag the snow away using the tarp...then when you're done working on it again re-tarp as needed. That way the engine hoist will still roll OK. Better yet, wheel the engine hoist up to the truck and tarp the whole works in.

Tarping is easier than shovelling.

Rene

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

hmmm, you have me thinking Rene, thats a really good idea.
    I have a tarp in the shop that I will lay in front of the blazer tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Bust your ass and get it stripped down to the frame before snow flies so you can paint it.

Once snow flies you can tarp the whole thing (all the way to the ground) so you're not wallowing in snow all the time. I'll end up doing this.

Also, go buy some 11mm thick screenprinting corrugated plastic to lay on. It'll be about $45 for a 4'x8' sheet. Cut a 3'x4' chunk off it. It's the perfect size for rolling around on. I'm a cheap bastard and let me tell you, it's worth every penny.

It's snowing slush here right now.

10. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

wait until spring, if you strip it down now you will misplace nuts bolts etc. forgetting exactly how this fit or what part goes on before anotherone does, wait until spring and keep every thing fresh in your mind

11. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Fuc|< around here winter is the best time to work on my truck. The ground freezes and it's almost like I'm not a poor fuc|<ing hick that doesn't have an ounce of tar or cement in his yard /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

buy some 1" black pipe and build a frame over the k5 for a big tarp

13. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

get out there and start pullin stuff off! you could do it in a day! maybe a case of beer might persuade a couple buddies to help /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Better get crackin if you want to beat old man winter!(this coming fom me--sitting here at my computer,when I should be cutting up my K20! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif).Since most of the rusted stuff is whats taking so long to remove--I say use the sawsall and grinder,hammer and chisel,whatever it takes to get the u-bolts,shocks,etc off--dont waste time trying to save the stuff you probably cant re-use anyway--I think you should be able to strip it down in a few days--lifting the tub off will probably be the hardest part.
    One guy near me was denied a variance to build a garage(not enough room between his house and a neighbor)so since he heated his house with wood to supplement his oil furnace and save money--he bought 3 trailer loads of long longs for firewood--he stacked it about 10 ft away from his chevelle he wanted to restore after cutting it to fireplace lengths on 3 sides,then put 16 ft 4x4 posts on top of the "woodpile" when it was about 7 feet tall and laid pallets and plastic tarp over it for a "roof"--he worked on his car in there most of that winter with a space heater by placing another tarp over the open end.(his "real" woodpile he put closer to his house!)
    I made a "greenhouse" looking thing out of 20 ft peices of PCV pipe and a tarp for 75 bucks--the pipes were only about 7 bucks each--I hammered pieces of iron pipe in the ground about 12 ft apart,leaving about 18 inches sticking out of the ground--then I put the PVC pipe over them,by bending it into a "hoop" or arch shape,and put 1x3 strapping on the pipes with drywall screws,so you can clamp the tarp onto the arches.This worked out very well for me--its been up for 5 years,I use it for storing yard stuff and sanblasting,or just a place to park a vehicle and keep it dry.It has held up to amazing snowloads--last year it got squashed down so far it looked like the letter "M",but it sprang right back when I raked the snow off it! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I started taking the stuff off.
    What Im stuck on is how to get the body off... I am thinking take all the tires off, lower the axles until the discs/drums are just a hair off the ground, then block the housing so the axles wont move. Then get the engine hoist with some metal under the rear to hold it up high enough, then get whoever of my friends that I can to lift the other end, then roll out the chassis. Then slowly lower the body onto some wood onto the ground to store until next spring.
    Then I would pull the rolling chassis into the carport, and start ripping 'er apart. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    the problem is I have a hard time keeping track of my tools. So if one drops in the snow, I'm doomed.

[/ QUOTE ] Don't worry, you'll find them next spring. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Why don't you just roll the whole thing RIGHT NOW into the shop and dissasemble it in the shop out of the weather completely? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I took a few K5's off the frame with a floor jack(engine crane works good too--if you have a place to hook it onto the body)--kept jacking it up and blocking it with firewood logs(at least 6 inches thick)until we could put 2 pieces of 4x4 post wider than the truck by about 2 ft on each side) (metal channel iron would be better,but harder to find)under the floor,and we rested the ends of the posts on a stack of wooden pallets to hold the body up high enough to roll the chassis out from under it--I used my riding mower to pull the rolling chassis out,since I was alone at that time!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    the problem is I have a hard time keeping track of my tools. So if one drops in the snow, I'm doomed.

[/ QUOTE ] Don't worry, you'll find them next spring. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Why don't you just roll the whole thing RIGHT NOW into the shop and dissasemble it in the shop out of the weather completely? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I already said, I cant do it in the shop, it cant fit through the door, and if it did, the floors would cave in from the weight.

I dont know what to rest the wood onto though. My 2 good saw horses are being used by the hardtop right now. And the other ones are ready to fall apart. I dont have time to make more /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    aaaagh this is frustrating. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

this is the only roofed place I have to work on it, and its still pending if I can use it...

[​IMG]

and this is how the blazer currently sits:

[​IMG]

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ive been thinking about it, how hard would it be to pull the blazer out onto the driveway, then into the carport? If I can steer the tires, is it okay if they skid across the ground... I dont want to wreck anything.
    Also if I took the body off of the frame under the carport, how hard would it be to put the body onto a dolly thing, and wheel it back to where the blazer originally was?
    I am thinking a couple of chain hoists strapped to the roof joists, or something like that, and lift it up high enough to roll the chassis out.
    If I lift it straight up with hoists about the tub, where can I strap on? I was thinking cut some square tube and bolt it through the 2 holes where it mounted to the frame by the wheelwells at the back. Then attach the hoist to that and lift. I dont know what to do for the front of it though /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif