Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

So my mom's been telling everyone my sob story about gettin sent home from the Air Force and having a nice big car payment that will take about all my income.

I got offered a job, through my mom, today. It's at some big company in town scanning documents for $9.50 an hour.

I definately need the money at the moment so I can pay for my truck, medical bills, and have some left over to have a life with.

But here's the thing: I've been with Little America hotel for over 2 years, and just returned to work there this week (my boss took it upon herself to put me in for a military leave of absence instead of terminating me)... I have insurance and everything through them already, and it's a company that takes care of its employees. It's like a family after you've worked there a year, so if I go for this other job, I'd kinda feel like I'm turning my back on all my friends and "family." Plus some other benefits that the company offers that don't have much bearing on this issue.

However, that money sure is sounding nice right now. The only concern I have with this other job is when I can start being insured by them, and if that company will cover my injury.

What do y'all think? Good paycheck and possibly less benefits, or good benefits but just enough cash to get by? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats a hard call, sorry I didn't hear about your injury but if its something you need medical care for I'd stick with good benefits and lower pay. I only make $8 an hour but I have good benefits and its only till I go to school so I have stuck with my job.

3. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

how much difference in pay? does new job offer insurance? even if you are young sh%t happens. so health insurance is a must i would weigh the difference and pick the one with better bennies if the pay is within a couple bucks!

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Tell your current boss that you have a job offer for "X" amount a hour. See if they'll meet that.

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how much difference in pay? does new job offer insurance? even if you are young sh%t happens. so health insurance is a must i would weigh the difference and pick the one with better bennies if the pay is within a couple bucks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Little America is paying me $6.25 and $6.50. I do 2 jobs, but only work 40 hours... mostly I do the $6.50 job... so there's a $3 difference in pay. I guess I just need to find out what's up with the health insurance at this other place and whether they'll cover my pre-existing injury. I know the company I'm with now said I had to wait a year after my last treatment with another company before they'd cover it. Luckily I had already waited over a year, so I was good... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Contact your insurance company, you should be able to continue with your plan even if you quit; as long as you keep paying it. Not positive though.

Take the better money working for family. That's almost a 50% raise. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

The 9.50 job sounds easy... But be careful that it's not kind of temp gig. We just hired someone to do this for my company, and it was 2 weeks of all day intensive scanning. From this point forward, it will be about 1 document a week scanned.

I'm tempted to think maybe this company you're offered the gig at is a satellite of my parent company (my parent company just mandated this big electronic file for all divisions/sites), or if a lot of company's just started a big electronic filing drive...

8. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

if the $9.50 job offers insurance and is a for sure fulltime long term position i would consider it!

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

nevermind... everyone else already asked the same questions /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Another way to look at it is this way.. if the 6.50 an hour job paid you cash instead of all the medical benefits, you'd probably be making that 9 - 10 dollar an hour figure.

If the 9.50 an hour job doesn't have much in the way of benefits, you'll probably eat up any extra pay you think you're getting because you'll more than likely eat up more cash in the long run buying comparable insurance/ medical coverage to what you had. ( i'm assuming that medical coverage is a big thing for you right now.)

At the job you have now, you know you're getting 6.50, if you take the other, it could end up costing you more in the long run. You can always get a second job for more cash. I'd ask a lot of questions before making a move, and don't let a few more dollars an hour lure you into a deeper hole.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go with the one that has the better long term oportunities. Where will you be within a year at either. A mans importance/pay has to grow as he grows. At 18 I took a mechanic job for 5.50 an hour. 2 years later was up to 7.50, top was 10.00. A better oportunity came up. I took a paycut back to 5.00/hr now I make about 5x that and the best benifits anyone has ever heard of. I hated to leave my wrenching job because I loved it and the people, but the world of Graphic Arts was a calling.