Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Nov 16, 2004.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Same post new title to try and get more input /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Well like most of us there are times when we have to decide something. For me the time is now, i have 3 bowties sitting outside my house right now, i have had all of them for awhile, the point my rig is not a DD anymore, but it could be. The problem, i still get a kick out driving it to and from the trail. One of the other chevys i have is a 02 2500HD and it could pull it but its to much fun and not a far enough trip to justify pulling it yet. The question is i have two ways to get the goal i want, which are still drive it 70 mph and still have a decent crawl ratio. Always more than one way to skin a cat. The first would be to keep the 4.10s in the axles now and convert to a 400/ doubler, depending on the price of the t cases it could cost from 800-2000 bucks, but i would be able to cruise a highway speed and still have a final ratio of 40.67 or if you go with the torque converter idea a 81.34. On the other hand if i regear the axles to 5.13 and keep the 700 thats in there now i would end up with a 42.54 or torque converter way with a 85.08. I recieved a quote from a member here for around 1200 bucks (including a detroit for the 60) to do the regear, then say 500 more for a shop to set up the gears, the prices and outcomes are fairlly close. Before you make a decsion one more thing i am concerned about, to put in the 400 doubler there would be alot of headache finding all the componets, iv have a post for a 400/203 up on three different boards for months with nothing. The posible headache with doing a regear is the 700 will have to be rebuilt within the next year or so im guessing, so let me know your thoughts or personal experence. TIA

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: A question about dicisions

doubler wins
    why does it require you to change from your 700r4?

3. sapper

anyone else?

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I dont know what i would do, but the real question is what would jesus do
    ?

5. blazerpunk

blazerpunk 1/2 ton status

I would go doubler /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif more versatility /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

SM465 and a doubler /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Honestly doubler plus it would give me experience so when I get the $$$$$$$ for mine.......and maybe a selectable locker for the 60.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

700R-4 way. For the same money you get the same crawl ratio, but get a Detroit in the deal along with the regear. The OD keeps it street friendly...and the overall combo is markedly lighter which is never a bad thing.

Rene

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

how will the 700 live behind the 454?

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

why dont you set up the gears your self?? at least do the 14b, they are easy if you got the tools.
    The 400 and doubler is stronger but also adds alot of other things such as weight, driveshafts, fab crossmembers.
    The 700r4 way would be easier but the 700r4 can be weak.
    I think it really comes down to the cost, I think the gears would be cheaper so that is the way I am going, and if you get some money on down the road you can always put the 400 and doubler in there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    how will the 700 live behind the 454?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a mitigating issue that wasn't mentioned...remind me to polish up my mind reading skills before replying again. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

BBC...go doubler and call it a day.

Rene

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I think the only way I would run a 700 behind a 454 is if I got one of Bowtie's trannys and even then I might be worried about it, the 400 is about bullet proof /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

From what I have heard about east coast wheeling and decent amounts of right foot I say ditch the 700R4 especially behind a BBC. Get a heavily built TH350 doubler or a TH400 doubler. Why does it have to be a TH400 doubler? The TH350 is a strong tranny that has been proven to last pretty well infront of doublers as long as it is built right. Then you don't have to find the expensive 32 spline NP203.

Just use the 27 spline (dime a dozen) 203 and whatever 205 you can get your hands on. Swap the input gear to 32 spline and be done with that part.

I know of 5 (soon to be 6) guys in AZ that run the TH350 doubler very hard and the only one I know of with problems is Baddog (Russ). With Russ's luck on stuff though that doesn't count. The black storm cloud just follows him around.

Harley

13. sapper

I dont have a 454 /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifwould be nice but the 350 might be a 383 one day but that is all. Thanks for the input guys

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont have a 454 /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifwould be nice but the 350 might be a 383 one day but that is all. Thanks for the input guys

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little lost here.....your current combo is a 350/700R4 and 4.10 gears? What diameter tire do you have currently?

If you've already got the 700R4 and a decently BIG tire, you probably can't even get your truck INTO the overdrive gear. I've got 4.10s/38's and I turn a comfortable 2500RPM at 60-65mph. If I had an overdrive, I'd go straight to 5.13s. The nice thing about regearing axles is that you get the extra "oomph" in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears (4th too, if you've got it).

Without an overdrive tranny, you are fighting conflicting objectives (believe me, I understand this one! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) It's hard to get a decent crawl ratio with gearing alone, and if you go deep in the axle gears....you lose the highway capability. If you gear for the highway, you end up with a truck that can't get-up-and-boogie around town, and it doesn't have much crawl offroad either...

The doubler seems to be the best option. You can keep whatever axle gears you need for highway use (and a non-overdrive tranny), and then use the Doubler to get yourself a decent offroad crawl ratio. It's not perfect, because the truck with 4.10s may not feel very "peppy" on the street....but deeper gears would require the O.D. tranny.

I suppose the final idea would be to swap in some axles with REALLY deep ratios (maybe a D60/D70 combo with 7.17s?) and then install an NP203 BACKWARDS to give you a 50% overdrive. This only works if you have stupid-deep gearing in the axles, because the overdrive ratio is so severe. Most "normal" combos would probably only turn 1000 RPMs @ 70MPH with something like that. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Anyway, something to think about....

15. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just saw this, I know where there is an original TH400/NP203 combo here in northern Illinois, it would have to be shipped to you though. It's not mine, it's my fathers. It has the adaptor and everything is complete, it's a 4WD case as well, but I think the tranny needs a rebuild. I can ask what he'll sell it for, what is it worth? He also has a NP205, but it's for a TH350, so it would have to be converted to the TH400 input. But then that would be the shortest doubler possible... Let me know if you are interested in any of the parts, I will talk to him about it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

16. sapper

Your right the tires i have now wont let me even think about putting it into o drive unless im just running around town , they are 40s that measure a true 38"s. Thats the reason i have been thinking going to a non overdrive tranny, i never use it. Im not going to even thing about getting new axles mainly do to i just got the 60 put in there and its a "new" thing to be excited about.

17. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i read this and thought "sandman" for some reason not sapper, sorry bout that /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Your right the tires i have now wont let me even think about putting it into o drive unless im just running around town , they are 40s that measure a true 38"s. Thats the reason i have been thinking going to a non overdrive tranny, i never use it. Im not going to even thing about getting new axles mainly do to i just got the 60 put in there and its a "new" thing to be excited about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I'm trying to be an instigator, but if you already own a front D60....finding a rear D70 should be the easy (and CHEAP!) part! I seem to recall that D70 rears are about the same price as 14BFFs....though the Deeetroit might be more expensive.

You could re-gear your front axle, and then do that backwards-203 idea. I only know of one person that's actually done it with a K5 ("The Hulk") and I was planning to try it myself on my new buildup. The adapters already exist through a company called OTT.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif