Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would you do

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHAWNSTER, Feb 10, 2005.

1. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

this is not the right spot, but no membership and I need your help--let your opinions rip- in sept of 03 we had a house fire and our insurance state farm sent out there contractors, instead of us dealing w/ getting them all together -we moved back in dec 03-we have been there since-well last Saturday we found out that whoever did not clean the return and hvac system(ducts replaced, inside furnace/coil/ac-)and our carpet/walls/furniture/clothes are stained black-so they send the original restoration company back to clean-at this point no one has been here to see the damage-well turns out the worst room was our 9 month old daughters room-the 14 mnth old ductwork was so bad they have to replace it again along w/ pulling and cleaning the furnace and return (seal it and tear out all sheetrock and replace to ensure all is gone)----they are kind of being unapologetic and do not really care the fact is our daughter has been breathing this crap-soot and what not-me and wife have headaches all the time-what would you do-we are all going to Dr to get checked out sorry for the long rant but

update-

so, I go and meet the 2 companies at fault yesterday at lunch, (the contractor and servpro rep and when i get there they have 2 totally lame reasons why

1-when our inside gas furnace was re-installed after fire, that 2 burners were lighting up, and then the 2 others when explode(very small) and that created enought soot to ruin carpet paint clothes furniture(worse than the fire)

AND THIS IS THE BEST-they cleaned out my return-but when they show me what they vacumed out-it had no black(soot) it was small leaves and pieces of wood splinters(they threw away what they cleaned out and planted this to try and lie-i said to them both right then to get the hell out and I am calling and Attorney-i called my grandfather (who helped me out during the fire with them)
    and they changed there attitude real quick -so end the end-they will cater to our every need like they should have from the very begining-hopefully this is the end

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  2. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

take em for all they're worth! If they aren't even concerned about their customer and you've had to deal with all this crap. If you can sue some company for making you fat, you can definately sue for something as scary as putting your daughter at risk. That's just laziness on their part, trying to save the all might dollar instead of helping the customer. Just my thoughts.....

--Adam

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Im responding because I feel bad for your difficult story

get a certified home inspector with background in fire damage... he must have sufficient credentials that the insurance company cannot challenge his expertise... this might cost up to 500.00
    have a report written... detailing why the home isnt habitable and whats wrong...
    contact the adjuster and have their inspector respond... leave the home for a rental or a hotel until its fixed correctly.. this could cost several thousand

barring spending the money for an inspector and possibly an attorney (5k and up to forever unless you can get them on a contigency normally 1/3 of what you could win for a bad faith claim against the insurance company) and lodging then I would

negotitate with the insurance company... your building department might help if things arent habitable... double edged sword... they come in and declare it inhabitable then your out... it is just about ALWAYS better to negotitate... especially when you are a working person and dont have the funds for fighting legal battles

as we all know insurance companies are not on our side and look to deny or mitigate their losses at every juncture...

your safety and health come first... I hope you have already done all the investigation into fire damage you can, knowledge is power (corny I know but true)... you can negotiate better with the company if you know what you are talking about and can back it up with statistics or reports or studies...
    and if you are adamant about something with them then stick to your guns as long as you can hold out... remember you are a number and fighting with them is something they do everyday

Your current adjuster is only authorized to dispense a certain amount... gets judged on their ability to settle the claim as low as possible... once you start squawking with facts and figures if they go beyond that persons authority you might get bumped into the next level
    Do you know your policy inside and out.... they do

cam

4. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just a thought about the health risks and don't want to send you into alarm. If the fire department used a lot of water and the framing and drywall was not replaced or aired out enough you could have a mold problem.​
    I had to deal with a building here that had this problem. Mold was everywhere and at the time all of the big cases in Texas and surrounding area about the mold causing nerve damage wwere in the news. We shut the job down for 3 months waiting on tests to determine what type spores we were dealing with. Came back positive for those. Spent a lot of extra money on the project abating the problem. Had a lot of codes to follow for that. ​
    It will cost some money for the tests but that would help in proving a negligence case. it would also possibly cost a lot more for further repairs to the house. The mold spores love the adhesive on the paper in gypsum drywall. ​
    Good luck with this.​

5. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

Update

update at top

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would still talk to your Dr. and possibly an attorny about your daughter inhaling all that crap that they left behind... What if it causes problems down the road? At least you should getit documented somehow.