Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91BurbDude, Jan 29, 2006.

?

What would you do?

1. Buy bigger axles with 4.56s,run 33s

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Re gear small axles run 33s

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. Put 33s and not re gear stock axles

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. Buy new 31s even though they look too small

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. 91BurbDude

91BurbDude Registered Member

Hello fellow CKers. Here is my situation and I welcome any comments.
    Last month I scored a 1991 Burb all original with 89k on it. It has 31s right now that need replacing. I want to go with 15x10s and 33s with hopefully no lift if they will fit without rubbing. I use it as my DD and will probably do little off roading because it is so nice (My dream truck). I have 3.42s so I figure 4.56s will be about right. I realize that re gearing the small axles would cost about 900. I think I could go with the popular 14bolt/dana 60 combo that has 4.56s already in them for less $$. I figure I would need at least 16 or 17inch rims for the bigger axles which would cost more than 15s obviously. Which is more stupid, putting 33s on big axles I really don't need or re gearing small axles that will probably never break since I never wheel the truck? What would you do? Thanks in advance.

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Unless you find a STEAL, you won't find the 1 ton axle combo with 4.56's for under 900 bucks. You can find a 14ff and just convert the front to 8 lug for farily cheap. If you are SURE that you will never go bigger, I would just stick with half ton stuff and reagear it. Its all in what you want to do with the truck. All I can say is do hours and hours of researching ck5 before you jump off on any one bandwagon, cause whatever you do, it will be alot of money.
    thanks,
    James

3. 91BurbDude

Thanks James. I am leaning towards re gearing what I have. I used to have an 81 K5 that was more of a thrasher. I like to wheel but I am so lucky to have found a Burb that is so clean and nice I don't want to mess it up. I always wanted my old K5 to grow up to be like my Burb. LOL. You are correct about the research thing. I mostly come in here every night and read all the threads and search stuff. In other words, I lurk. LOL. Thanks, Dan.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Most 15x10 rims (offset) are not going to fit without some kind of lift. 33 on stock 15x8 should fit. I have a 74 K5 that has 33x12.5x15 on 15x8 stock rim. There is a 2" lift in the front and zero on the rear

[​IMG]

And her she is with 31x10.5x15

[​IMG]

5. rustyear

rustyear Registered Member

actually, 33s on your axles will work fine and you'll probably never break anything...but most gm's will only tolerate 31s at stock height without rubbing. you may know this already, but a whole lot of tires that say 33 are really only 32 or even less. the rear should be no problem, and if your truck sits just a little bit higher for whatever reason, you might be ok in the front...even if you have the overdrive tranny, tho, a 4.56 gear is pretty low with 33s...i would go with 4.10 and you could even get away with 3.73s, if you had to...the overdrive tranny, (700r4) has a killer low first gear

6. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I've got an 89 with 33"s and 3.73's. It's an alright combo, but since the truck is so heavy I think 4.10 would be better.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What are your goals with re-gearing? Not fast enough as it is now, or are you thinking that the tire change will make that big a difference?

I'm running 33's with my 3.42's, I'm not complaining about acceleration. Then again, 350 and 3.42's are a step up from a 305 and 3.08's.

I'd run the 33's and see how you like it as is. I certainly wouldn't go for the bigger axles unless you have a definite need for them. They have a fair weight and cost penalty.

33x10.5's will likely fit with no rubbing, they do on most of our trucks. As a matter of fact, I don't believe ANYONE here has rubbed with 33x10.5's on stock wheels/suspension. Granted, not a whole lot of us running them, but a great tradeoff size for all-around use. BFG has them in both AT and MT. I know the local tire place agreed to take them back if they rubbed in my case, but since they didn't, no worries.

Your paint job is a bit nicer lol, but a general idea of what the 33's look like with no lift. (Can you as a non-member see the pics?) Slightly misleading view since the front tire is flexed up a bit, which is raising the body in the rear as well.

[​IMG]

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

buy a used set of 31s off craigslist for $50 and call it good. I spend the absolute minimum possible on DD rigs... no real point in building them up. All it does it hurt mileage.

j

9. 91BurbDude

Well I thought 4.56s would offset the bigger tires and gain some acceleration and performance over stock. I suppose 4.10s would be fine. I appreciate all your comments on this. Unfortunately money has become the deciding factor. I am going to get a set of 31x10.50 bfg ATs. I really wanted to go with 33s but regearing is too expensive for me right now. I bought this Burb which only has 89k on it and the reality is that it sat a lot and the tires are kinda dry rotted. Fear of a blowout with my family in the truck has forced me to go with the 31s.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  10. 91BurbDude

Well I got the 31s put on the other day. They look great and I'm sure they will last a long time. I feel good about going with them. I mean really no sense in re gearing and running 33s when I already said I will probably not go off road much. 31s will be fine since it is a DD. Thanks for all the input.:cool1:

11. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

sounds like you made the right choice. If I was in your situation I probably would have chosen that exact setup :bow: :bow:
    James

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I'm a day late and a dollar short, however...

I ran 3.42 1/2-ton gear and 33s on my old pickup from the time I got it until I stripped it last month. Hauled everything from furniture, to a yard of topsoil (about a ton), to a heavy-duty car hauler. Never had a single problem. The truck had no lift at all but had heavy-duty springs in it when I bought it (not lift springs, just add-a-leafs). It was maybe 2 inches over stock, if that.

13. 91BurbDude

:grin: Thanks James. I am very happy with my decision.

14. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

You'll appreciate it more as you put on the miles. LT235/85R16 KOs with 3:42s, TH350 in a 1/2T Burb DD and I crawl through and over anything <16 inches (hub height), so far. Each rock or bank is different.:D