Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Last week I lost the tranny in my '95 Dodge Ram CTD. It was my dd and I have no other vehicle. It's gonna be $2k+ to get the tranny done in the Dodge...I need somethin to drive ASAP and don't have the cash for the Dodge tranny right now. Jesse's been pickin me up and taking me home from work this last week. As far as vehicles go, I have narrowed it down to two options-

#1- I've been lookin at a totally stock '90 GMC extended cab 4x4, blah blah blah. Pretty nice truck, auto, 5.7, 130k miles. I'd be financing $4500. Payments under $200 a month.

#2- My gramps has an '83 GMC K2500. 6.2/465/208/10b/14bsf, 33" bfg AT's. Gramps is willing to basically give it to me. Truck has close to 300k miles. 10 bolt needs to be totally rebuilt- Everything in it is worn out. The 6.2 is a total dog....50mph top speed. I can get a newer Goodwrench 454 replacement motor with ALL the accessories and 60k miles, from a friend for $800. My plan was to swap out the 6.2 for the 454, completely rebuild the 10b and do some basic maintenance cause gramps never did. I'd prolly be into the whole truck for $1100 or so. Minus the time it takes to get it goin.

Sooo what would you guys do? I'm leaning towwards the the '83 cause it'd be cheaper, no payments, no smog, more power etc. The '90 would be easier to drive, more comfy, more convient, more room, and I wouldn't have to work my ass off to get it goin.

So what'cha think?:crazy: :crazy:

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Number 2.

Cheaper in tags, taxes and registration.

Easier to work on and get parts for.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Id go with the 83 for no reason more than i love the trucks...other than that, theres no payments which is really nice and youll have a 454. it sounds like its going to be a tempoary vechicle so why bother getting something youll have to pay off? But couldnt you just drive the truggy?lol

4. Zeus33rd

I'm startin to consider that more and more seriously. :crazy:

Just sold the 42's today...Truggy is out of commision for an unknown amount of time.:(

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

option 2, then once you get the 2500 ctd running again, turn the 83 into an dd/wheeler with 35s-37s

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

If you are just needing a DD till you get the Dodge fixed-buy the 454, sell it for a profit, buy a used 350, use the leftover $$$ to rebuild the 10B

7. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Ask gramps for a loan to fix the dodge and pay him back $200 a month and you'll be done in no time.

If that's not an option then get the older truck, mainly because it's a diesel and you wouldn't need to smog it.

8. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

why not go get a $800 Jap cracker box (car or small pickup). 4cyl, stick, manual everything. I see them all over Tampa for dirt cheap. Under 1 grand brings you a DD. No motor swaps, just some basic tune up stuff. I don't like the sound of monthly payments or the gas bill for a 454. 454 and daily driver don't need to be in the same sentence unless you need it for work. the money you'll be spending on gas would proby make the payments seem better and get 2x the MPG on a newer truck and you'll have more free time. I see cars like this ALL OVER everyday.
    and this is only me looking on Autotrader for 2 seconds. Tons in the paper. Both these cars have around 130k miles which is just getting started. I have 150K on my 4runner and it runs like new. my 84 supra made 200K and it ran perfect before I wanted to build a turbo car. So don't worry about low 100k's.

examples:
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=195257904&dealer_id=57391210&car_year=1994&model=&bkms=1141616066287&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1990&certified=&search_type=both&distance=50&make=TOYOTA&min_price=1&sponsorModel=%2Fredirect%2Fredirector_link.jsp%3Fto_url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fad.doubleclick.net%252Fclk%253B25002370%253B12170403%253Bg%253Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.toyota.com%26mis%3DFNSFBDMGTN624&address=33624&advanced=&end_year=2007&max_price=1500&cardist=24

Real decent:
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=197664612&dealer_id=57566820&car_year=1993&search_type=both&make=NISSAN&distance=50&model=&address=33624&certified=&advanced=&max_price=1500&bkms=1141616066287&min_price=1&end_year=2007&start_year=1990&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=18

9. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

It's a fact, those little old rice grinders are generally book for next to nothing and you can usually pick one up for next to nothing.

10. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

I vote for the 83,but I know nothing about Cali smog BS.Would it still be smog exempt after the engine swap?

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

another vote for an import commuter car. You can get a Geo Metro for way less than $1k these days... and 45+ mpg is always nice. 2 door + 5 speed is the ultimate commuter. :grin: AFA the dodge goes... I always hear about their trannys dying behind the CTD... why doesn't everyone just use manuals?

j

12. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

If the reason you need this new vehicle is b/c you need $2k-3k to fix your "real" vehicle... what's the point of dumping in $4,500+interest, or dumping $1,100-$1,500+time into a "temp" car? Might as well take out a small bank loan to fix your trans and call it good or buy the $850 Jap box and spend $100 to tune it up. and then when you're done with it sell it for what you bought it for, or close to.

13. Zeus33rd

Thats kinda what I've been thinkin. My gramps bought the '83 new..it's been around forever. First vehicle I ever drove, it was basically what got me into wheelin when I was young. Lots of memories in the truck. Would be pretty sweet to give it a facelift and make it nice again.

All that would take more time...buying, advertising, selling etc. I need a vehicle now. And I like big blocks. :D If I do the '83 thing, I could have a nice running 4x4 dd in less than two weeks. Fuel costs with the big block aren't really a concern, I make enough money that I can afford it. If it were coupled with a payment, that would be a different story. For the same reason, rebuilding the 10b isn't a big deal.

A loan from gramps isn't an option. Thats a story for another day. :eek1: :haha:

I thought about that too....I've been going through every option I can think of. Would be a good idea, but I need a 4x4. And I'm not ever gonna get another car. Hard to find a non POS 4x4 for under $1k. The Dodge is 2wd and it sucks. It's been snowing here the past few days...If it werent for Jesse coming to get me in his truck, I wouldn't be goin to work.

Can't find a 4wd rice grinder for next to nothing, believe me, I've been looking. :crazy:

It hasn't seen a smog station in 23 years. Just pay the registration every year. They don't know what motor it has in it. The only way I'd run into trouble is if the decide to start smogging diesels some day.

Anyways, I think I've pretty much convinced msyelf to go with the '83. The '90 GMC is a nice truck, but like Wes said, it's more expensive in pretty much everyway cept fuel costs. And there'd be a payment too.

Thanks for the input d00ds!:D

14. Zeus33rd

I tried the loan thing...My credit isn't good enough to get an unsecured loan for the amount I'd need.

The situation with the Dodge truck is a bit complicated. It's a decent truck, but not what I want. It also doesn't technically belong to me. My exs name is on the title. It's been a super messy/ugly/nasty breakup, and shes threating to take the truck back. She can have it. So I don't really consider it my "real" truck anymore. I want her gone soo bad, I don't care about the Dodge enough to want to get it going anytime soon. Whatever vehicle I end up with has to be semi permenant and maybe capable of some tow rig duty some day.

God daaaamn I hate drama.:mad: :eek1: :haha:

15. Zeus33rd

Again, I need a 4wd. I live 5 miles from work, and make pretty good money, so gas milage isn't a concern.

The Dodge tranny thing sucks ass for sure. I'll never have another auto trans tow rig again. Well, maybe the Duramax/Allison combo. :bow:

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I say to...

Borrow your Gramps truck!!..its a truck,its FREE,and the 6.2 will be cheap to run,and yes,slow..but it will do everything you ask of it and more...I'd forget the 454 option,it would open up a can of worms when it comes to emissions!..

FWIW,I see lots of Dodge truck trannies going south at low mileage,and not only on diesels or tow rigs..one friend has had 4 trannies go out in 80,000 miles on his 2002 Dodge with a 360 V8!..:doah: ..they shoulda left the torq-flight trannys alone!..:crazy:

17. Zeus33rd

Wouldn't be borrowing it- Hes giving it to me.

lol....I don't think you understand how worn out and tired this 6.2 is. Almost 300K...290 somthing. And maybe 20% of the maintenance it should have had during it's life time. Gramps wouldn't do anything to it till it broke. I could prolly count the number of oil changes it's had on my fingers and toes. I wasn't joking when I said 50mph top speed. 33" tires, 3.42 gears and a tiiired 6.2 is hairpullingly slooooow. It's NOT going to pull an 8klb load fast enough to keep up with traffic. The big block is perfect for this truck. And like I said, smog isn't an issue. They don't send you a "mog test required" notification if it's registered as a diesel.

I'm surprised the tranny in the Dodge lasted as long as it did. Truck has 175K. I just put a #6 plate in it and turned up the star wheel a bit...I'm guessing that extra 250lb of torque is what pused it over the edge. :D:haha: :doah: :haha: