Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Jul 6, 2001.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I've got a 14 bolt that needs new bearings, and I'm not sure if the gears are wornout. It's got 3.73's, and I'd like some lower gears (4.10's ore 4.56's). Question is should I regear the front Dana 44 and possibly put new bearings in it (along with seals and ball joints and whatever else it might need) and some sort of limited slip or should I hold out for a Dana 60? I'm only running 33's, but I'll be putting some power through it with a new 383 or 454 next summer. Not much rock crawling, mostly sand and some hill climbing with loose dirt and rock. I'm inclined to stay with the dana 44 as long as the housing is straight.

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i think if you have 1000 to 1500 burning a hole in your pocket, go for the D60. If you're not running a locker up front and only 33's, the D44 should hold up fine. Hill climbing, mud running, ect are usually much safer on equipment than rock crawling. I'm going to test my new D44 next week. I'm running 36's but no locker in the nose.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'd keep the 44 and upgrade it with new bearings & seals, quality axleshafts & stubshafts (ORD makes some, I think), and Warn hub fuses (if they're available for D44 hubs). This is pretty much the plan for my front axle.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Your 44 is more than tough enough for general purpose wheeling. New diff, bearings, upgraded shafts and that should do it just right.

<font color=red>Cripplefight!!</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>