Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmc4cw, Nov 24, 2006.

1. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you could start over, what would you change? My shortbed has been through a few changes. some good, some not so good. nothing I would call bad because everything is a learning experience. I have lifted it 3 seperate times. had 3 different front axles. had an engine fire that set me back a bit.

I bought a blazer a while back for $100. I got it off an over the road truck driver. it sat for 2 weeks at a time while he was out driving. I put poly body mounts and a complete dual exhaust on it when inspection came up. My father is driving it as his DD. When he find the right truck for himself it will be mine to molest as I see fit.

some of the things I know I will keep are that it will stay a gas engine with an automatic transmission. I want my wife to be able to drive it. Ideally my wife will drive my 2000 sierra in 2 years when her current lease is up. I will DD the blazer, and the shortbed will stay my beater. I have never daily driven anything with tires bigger then 35's.

What do you like and why? I am starting with a 1985 blazer with stock 2 leaf front springs and 31" pirelli's. Keep it budget minded as I have a young child, wife and bills to pay. The expensive stuff is for the beater.

2. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'm not too clear on how the truck is going to be used. DD and light/moderate trail rig?

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Drive more carefully.:D

Honestly, I would have a plan before I spent a dollar. The biggest mistake I have made is having to do things twice.

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Seeing as you are in the snow belt you can relate to this one...start with a clean rust free southern truck! I told myself that's what I would do and still didn't. Next time though I'm taking a vacation in AZ and driving home.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Find an 87-91 donor chevy with TBI350. Should be able to find a cheap one in good mechanical but trashed body. Biggest thing I screwed up on was spending a lot of money on an engine rebuild and the motor is too built for factory TBI. The money I spent on performance goodies could have been set building a solid 350 that could run well on factory TBI.

If I could start over completely from scratch I would look for a 6.2L truck. Drop in some lower gears and be happy to get 20mpg.

6. gmc4cw

Yes.

7. gmc4cw

Problem is I already have the blazer. I can replace rust. flying to AZ and driving back is all good except for the cost of the plane ticket, vehicle, and expenses to get back. $$$$

And it would suck to buy a rust free truck and bring it to the rust belt to die.

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

stock blazer, dd and mild trails... so 4" lift, minor trimming and 35s, shackle flip the rear, 52" the front with a zero rate, MAYBE a 14b rear and 8lug hub swap or 3/4t swap, whichever way is cheaper for you, headlight upgrade, front and rear hitch with a winch mount and 9500ti winch, since its a dd and i think 35s, i think 4.10s to keep it highway-able...

9. gmc4cw

thats along the lines of how I was thinking. I have a 14 bolt with 3.73 and posi and everything to put 8 lug hubs on my 10 bolt. the truck has a 700R4 so 3.73 might not be enough gear. by that I mean to low rpm's at highway.

I also have 52's laying around, and a 2.5" shackle flip. I was thinking of put 3" rear springs in since the originals are 22 years old. a zero rate in the front. that would give me about 5" in the front, 5.5" in the rear, and keep the pinion angles happy. Maybe a 1" body lift also.

Then run 35-37" tires.

10. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Don't the 52's require crossover?

11. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

they dont "require" crossover, but it's recommended.

12. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i wouldnt think it so necessary for a simple dd and light trail rig, but why not a cheap hydro setup