Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Dec 14, 2001.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

most of you have read the post about our 3k service that was just done on the new duramax--

Yesterday afternoon, i was outside, and noticed a oil/grease stain/spot on our driveway, the color of coffee with milk (kind of tanish).. so I called John at work, since it was in the place he parks, and said I don't know if its the grease from when they did the chassis, or what but there is quite a bit of oily stuff on the driveway etc.. he says, okay I'll check it .... about 7pm last night on his way home from work, he calls me and says- oh by the way- the oily spot you saw, was OIL,,,, he moved the truck at work, and the oil light came on- so he pulled the dipstick NOT A DROP OF OIl ON IT!!!.....so all he had up there was some regular 15/40 oil, nothing compared to the 38.00 a gallon stuff they put in it, and drove it home. My question to you is---now what---
    We have 2 choices-
    we go down to the dealer, and do a MAJOR a** chewin-- get the oil changed AGAIN, since now there is crappy oil in with the "good stuff" and leave it at that---

OR do I go to a different dealer-whose service department seems to be MUCH better than this one, and continue my business there. We have an outstanding "recall" that wont be done until Feb 02, so I will need someone....

The problem I have is that I really like the front line of this dealership, the sales, and the parts, also the body shop, seems that only the service dept sucks. What would you guys do? I'm kind of at a loss, I know either way we go, the service guy will hear from us, thats an understatement.
    THANKS!

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I'd go straight to a manager or owner fo the dealership that did the service.... Make sure they know that there was almost no oil left int he engine and have them note it in your records in case it caused a problem for down the road. Also, I would make them give me a new oil change free of charge! That is some seriously shotty work!

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Go give a major @ss chewing, have them change it for free and have John check everything, then NEVER go to that dealer again. An oil change is not hard. I hope they don't build motors and what not, sheesh!
    Also, consider doing oil changes and lubes yourself...that way you know it was done right [​IMG]. You can get a Haynes manual or Chilton's and it will show you all the lube points and a grease gun is cheap.

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

First I would call GM and let them know about the dealership. Then I would go down and get them to change the oil again at their cost. My big ? to you is what was leaking? I assume the dumb a$$ left the drain plug loose.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I would not go down there and do any butt chewing, but I would either speak to the General Manager or the owner of the dealership and advise them of what is going on. A butt chewing will not get you any-where, all it will do is make you look like a hot head in front of a bunch of people who don't care. Use the chain of command, that is why it is there. Remember one thing, you are one customer, to MOST people at a dealership shop they don't care because they are overbooked for work as it is and losing your business in their eyes will not effect them. The General Manager wants your repeat business because that is his bread and butter. If you just go talk to him/her in a tone you would like to be talked to if the situation was reversed I am sure that a resolution to your problem can be achieved and all parties involved at your level will be happy. In your conversation with the GM it would not hurt to mention that you are disappointed once, and I would be willing to bet that the individual that changed your oil will take the brunt.

A sad truth anymore at a lot of shops anymore is there are few mechanics, but a lot of "parts changers".

Something else you need to consider is asking them about future problems with the engine should any arrise from the low or no oil. Will they take responsibility..........

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Or they could have double-gasketed it. Some times when you screw the oil filter off the old o-ring stays stuck to the adapter then the new o-ring seals to the old one. It will seal until the oil pressure and temperature comes up, then it becomes a pretty impressive leak. I worked at a quick lube place when I was in high school and I saw this happen several times.

If I were you I would make them thoroughly clean the underside of the truck along with providing a new oil change and documenting the occurence to cover any future problems.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Bring it back to the dealership that did the work (after the oil goes down again, so that there is proof). Show them copy of receipt saying "THEY" did the last oil change and that the oil light came on and there was no drop of oil on the dipstick. Then have them sign a waiver that states if any engine problems occur within the first 100,000 (diesels should go way more than that) that are even remotely oil related, they will pick up the tab. If they don't, demand a new engine. Any reputable repair shop (especially dealerships) pay insureance every month because of situations like this and liabilities, they don't like paying it out, but they do have the money, and you are entitled to "compensation" for their negligence (whether it be a new motor or extended service contract). They will probably opt for the extended service contract as it will only costs them if the motor goes out within the timeframe of the contract. Remember they do pay for situations like this, don't let them screw you any more.

The sad part is, you would have been better off letting the motor blow as they would have had to give you a new one, whereas now your husband put in oil not specified by the engine manufacturer or equivelant (which I believe what he put in is not equivilant, and if you read in the fine print, voids the warranty, but they had to prove it) [​IMG]

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Your correct about the oil being cheapo stuff, however at 6 at night, the dealership isn't open to get the "correct" stuff... regardless of that fact,, I feel, that they should not ONLY change my oil/filter again etc.. that they should be covering any and all future repairs related to this... I agree with everyone on that, and I'm going to call John right now, and give him this info, and see what happens when he goes down there. As for the future recall in February- the truck is going to a different dealer on Thursday- to verify that the noise/rattle is really that problem. I don't trust them now!

thanks guys!
    Brandy

10. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

I would send pictures of my Rancho lift to Lotsa_Faith via email if I were you...

lol j/k take your time...

Mike Dee

11. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

What to do depends on your idea of conflict resolution. I myself am a silent customer. I dont don't "Go off" in front of god and everyone. I just go elsewhere. A major ass chewing
    is gona go down in house anyway. I like Chevyracings attitude and approach. Take it it back and speak to the advisor,service mgr &amp; the GM. Explain the situation. If you don't get satisfaction make bigger waves. When one clown goofs up it does not mean the whole place is full of Bozoes(sp). All it takes is one error and the whole apple barrel looks rotten.-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

12. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

mike- there coming, as is your email--- gotta get to wally world

here's the update on what was wrong-

the o-ring, on the drain plug was split- John seems to think that the idiot tightened down the bolt way to much, and split it. hence the oil leak- he marked the filter before he went, just to make sure that they actually changed it instead of just draining, and filling, and they did...he spoke with the GM, and Todd, the owner, and basically told them that this was the LAST time they would be working on ANY of our trucks... they tried to talk him out of it etc.. however it was a LOT of $$ for that rig, and we don't take oil leaks on an engine with 5k miles very lightly.... the shoddy work they did spoke louder than anything they could fix etc.... John told Todd, that we will continue to buy our rigs from them, matter of fact his mom is picking up her christmas present monday (no not a truck!). but we won't be back for anytype of serivice. so thats where were at--

and mr lotsa faith- I promise the pics are coming, as soon as I get to it!

--Brandy