Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Highlander, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Hello all
    Let start with what I'm running. It's a 83 K5 with a 2.5 lift 1" body 35 BFG AT's, A Dana 44 front with ARB and 4.56 the rear is a 12 bolt with a ARB and 4.56. The Eng and tranny combo are 350/700r/205 new shafts at both end's the rear has 1350 yokes. Front is stock size.
    Now the problem I have had this truck for two years now and I've always thought I had 4.11, At one time I took the part # and went to Richmond Gears online and could not get any help after I e-mailed them. Yesterday I went back to them and found out that I have 4.56 NOT 4.11. My 12b has gone south in a big way and it has be going for awhile I waited for a 12b from denver75k5 for a long time thinking it would be easyer and somewhat cheaper to go that way for the time being ( After a new tranny and transfer case and new driveshafts it was cheaper ) Well I can't really use the rearend that I got from TJ nor can I use whats left of my 12b.
    Unless I rebuild my 12b but mite include a new ARB I've been look at the cost it's about 350 for R&P and install kit even the Axle Bearings. The ARB is 650
    I was thinking I could get a overhaul kit from ARB to replace the old springs, bolts and seals This should be done as I found out today I had to replace five Bolts in the ARB as they cam loose and some are gone /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I wasn't going to go with a 14b I don't wheel the K5 that hard. Then I found a 14b new with 4.56 and a Detroit for 550. The con to the 14b is having to move the spring pads and the shock mounts ( If this is wrong let me know )
    Then I found a 4.56 gear set for 200 But I would still need a carrier ( I would hate to give up my ARB ) I guess I could put in the 4.11 rearend take out the front shaft ( just so I wont use the 4wd) The go though the ARB rearend.
    Sorry for the small book
    Any input would be helpful

Eric

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If the ARB is rebuildable I'd pick up the new gear set (4.56's for $200) and repair the 12 bolt.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I wasn't going to go with a 14b I don't wheel the K5 that hard. Then I found a 14b new with 4.56 and a Detroit for 550. The con to the 14b is having to move the spring pads and the shock mounts ( If this is wrong let me know )

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a real value even though there will be other costs involved. Frankly even if I didn't wheel my truck much I'd still go with a FF 14 just for peace of mind. There is a lot to be said for bomb-proof parts you never have to worry about.

If the FF is from a one ton (I'm guessing by the descrption it is) you will need to move perches and shock mounts to install it. You'll also need a hybrid rear U-joint.

At this point you'll either have to shell out some dough to convert the FF to 6 lug or you'll have to swap the front to 8 lug and look for other rims. 15's will fit but the front calipers will need to be ground.

Rene

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You must wheel fairly hard if it was worth it to spend the money on the ARBs. I'd get the 14 bolt for $550 then sell your 12 bolt ARB to defray the costs. Either convert the 14b to 6 lug or convert the frontend to 8 lug and call it good. If the 14 bolt is from a 3/4 ton then the pads will fit where they are, if it's from a 1 ton then they have to be moved, but worst case this will cost less than $100. $55 for new perches from Rockjunkies, $20 to have them welded on and 2 hours or so of work to grind the old ones off. No biggie. </font color>

4. Highlander

Thanks Rene

I'm going to E-mail ARB tonight hopefuly they will reply this week
    The wife is not happy about this nether am I but I understand it alot better than she, But we all know how that goes don't we.

Eric

5. Highlander

I didn't spend the money for the ARB's I bought it with them for 1500.00 and a new Crate motor as well. This K5 had to much on it to pass up.
    Thank's Shaggy you brought up some good points about selling my 12b stuff. I'm such a pack rat I wouldn't of thought of that.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well since the ARB is what fried your R&amp;P I sure as hell would be asking them to cover the TOTAL damage including R&amp;P a housing if yours is trashed and the cost of installation.
    Then damn bolts backing out is a MAJOR problem with ARB's and despite what the knuckle head that responds to you says they KNOW they had a problem and the ARB has been redesigned with pins and new style locks to keep those bolts from backing out.
    E-mail RobZilla and ask for one of his SPECIAL letters and tell him what I said about the problem. Tell him I told you to contact him.

7. Highlander

It wasn't the ARB that started all mess it has finished it though. This all stated with a pinon bearing going south well that partly true.
    When I bought this K5 I went and topped off the fluids then went to the parts store when I got back I found the tailgate all wet with gear oil only then did I find the hole in the diff cover from a chiped tooth. From then on I would change the gear oil about every three months or so. Till I get the funds to go through the rearend. Well times up.
    I last looked at the gears while the truck was down for a new tranny and T-case. I remember looking at those bolts on the ARB and thinking I wonder when those will come loose.
    I know my ARB is a older model the break down in last months 4WP's rag shows the bolt keepers. I whis they would put them on to begin with.. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Eric

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Your not listening to me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    The bolts backed out (and some are missing) they got run through the R&amp;P and caused all the damage Right?

RIGHT?
    It's a known problem............. Get a hold of Robzilla and get a letter /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. Highlander

DUH... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I get it now I just sent them a e-mail tell them al about it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif We'll see what will happen....
    Thanks Grim

Eric