Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by s373n_rcr, Jan 8, 2003.

1. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

OK, bought my first truck and know what I am going to use it for, but don't know what direction to take in getting started with enhancing its abilities. First off it has to be driven daily, so a massive lift and 44's is out of the question right now as they won't help much in getting the kids and groceries in and out of it. Although I won't be doing any serious rockcrawling or mudbogging, I will be doing trails to various degrees so want to build a little above the stock level of performance. This is what I have.

-89 GMC Jimmy
    -350TBI
    -SM465
    -GMcorp 10bolts(manual locking hubs)
    -stock? transfer
    -33x12.50's on 6bolt GMrally wheels
    -fresh, rust free body
    -rebuilt frontend (new balljoints,tierod ends, brakes etc.)

what is coming.

-underdash tach
    -tint for rear windows
    -bikini top (anyone know where to order these?)
    -onboard compressor??maybe?

So with the exception of things like 44's, Dana 66's or a 454, would anyone suggest any real world bolt-on items that you would put on your rig if you were to build one fairly modestly? Like heavy towhooks, winch, decent exhaust or headers etc.etc...? I'm just looking for ideas and am sure you have some. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

-THX

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Bumpers and armor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My thoughts (1) Axle swap. 3/4 Ton axles. May never need them, but wouldn't want to be out in the middle of nowhere with a busted 10 Bolt, now would ya. Plus most 3/4 axles will already have the more desirable gears already. (2) You may want to consitter a 4 or 6 inch suspension lift and some larger tires like 36" or so. Ground clearence is a good thing. (3) Detroit Locker (4) For headers, I'm planning on a set of Doug Thorley TRI-Y Headers. / By the way, welcome to CK5.

4. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

Thanks...good to be here. The problem with the 3/4 ton axles is that the truck would be off the road for X-amount of time and would leave me with nothing but my (1380cc 117bhp) Austin Mini, which isn't much of a family car. The lift may be good, 3-4" for now...suspension lift. Don't think I'll go body lift. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Exhaust would be a good upgrade. With your set up you could run 3" exhaust pipe and a aftermarket high flow muffler. Headers would also be a good upgrade. You could go even further with roller tip rocker arms, under drive pulleys, vortec heads, and new intake manifold if you wanted. The sky($) is the limit, and that is just dealing with the engine. Then there is tires, suspension, axles, bumpers, winches, wheels........ /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

CAM SWAP!!!! I'm a believer since I swaped mine....best $100.00 bang for the buck. Just a thought. Oh yea, welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

It looks to me like your rig is set up pretty good for what you want to do with it. It is similar to mine( wish I had the sm465) and I wheel pretty hard with no problems.

Pic

I wouldn't worry about the 10 bolts a whole lot (unless you have a Guv Lock) They are really not as bad as every one seems to think. Just keep the tire size down to 33s and they work ok.
    Body armuor or a set of rock sliders are nice to have. I like mine. Tow hooks are good. Winch is good if you have the bucks, But if you use a little common sense you really dont need one.
    A handy man jack is very good to have along and will grt you out of most situations
    If your rig has a lot of miles on it some new springs with 2 or 4 inches of lift would be good to have.
    Good Exhaust and headers? Definatly!
    If you want better traction get a locker. I have a lockrite in mine and it works good.
    On board compressors are nice but you dont need one unless you plan on airing down your tires a lot and doing some serious trails. I have one but dont use it very often. Mostly to fill up water toys at the lake /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif A good 12V compressor will work for most needs. Also onboard air usually means you have to git rid of your air conditioning. Unless you install a 12v to 110v convertor and use a 110 volt compressor like I have.
    A soft top is on my wish list.
    Check out these:Offcamber4x4.com can back tops

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

throttle body spacer put one on my girlfrends Z-71 made a noticable differance and goodyear MTR's I just got a set of 37 x12.50 15's And I love them I would definetly buy another set and a flow master exhaust I like those to Man I wish I had Fuel injection /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif