Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mudhog, Aug 11, 2003.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ok after going to the local drags this last weekend i am wanting to find a CHEAP car to pick up this winter and drop in a built v8 something like a vega or something. it has to be light weight and cheap and be able to drop a v8 into it fairly easily. so i want your opinions on what kind of car to get and what to drop into it? how would you set up the car you chose? keep in mind money is a factor here

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

NIssan 240 SX /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Put a LT1 into it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. mudhog

ok but give me more info what tranny what rearend how would you set it up?

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Find a 68 to 74 Chevy NOVA. You can get them really light by stripping out the extras. Who needs a intearor ?? Plus it's a great platform to start with. You can build it as mean as the cashflow will permitt. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mudhog

i have thought of that and i can strip it down this car will be for one thing only drag racing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i plan on a full cage and tubbing the back to put wide tires back there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif what motor would you put in and why? what rearend?

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If it were me, find yourself a 67 - 69 camaro, built 350(like you said)M22 4spd, 9" rear(gears of your choice)18" cheater slicks, dump the front a couple inches, line-locs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    find yourself a 67 - 69 camaro

[/ QUOTE ]
    now that i would love to do i love the 67-69 camaros /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif BUT find me one for cheap /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif when i say cheap car I'm talking like under a grand for the car but more like $500 i don't care what condition its in blown motor bad tranny whatever cause those are getting replaced but it should have a fairly straight body

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

you can find some killer deals on 2nd gen camaros and trans-ams. already setup, lots of aftermarket parts and tweaks available.

I built a 73 Vega w/327. Fast and Unsafe /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Cost alot to keep the undersized parts together and cost even more to modify to make it strong and safe.

Cheap, already built and fast or Lots of work, time and $$$ Just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For 1/4 racing I'd go with a small block becouse they rap faster. Something like the Chevy 302 can turn some really high R's. And in a light body car it has more then enough torque. Lots of racers still running powerglides. 5:13's for a 1/4 mile track would kick a$$ !!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    Cheap, already built and fast or Lots of work, time and $$$ Just a thought

[/ QUOTE ]
    let me dissect this a little i have lots of time to do lots of work but it needs to be cheap and fast /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif is that possible /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. mudhog

i was thinking of staying small block because they do rev higher and are cheap to build but am open to all options /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif 5:13's might be a little to low but maybe 4:56's or 4:88's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif id love to drop in a 14ff with a 6lug diskbrake setup with a detroit locker /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

See if You can find an old Chevy Monza, circa, '75. Had a 262? V8 Stuff a built 350, or a built 400 small block in it.
    Remember the old "Grumpy's Toy's"?

Already set up for a V8.
    Stuff a TH350 trans in it.
    Put a cut down Dana 60 out of a Furd pickup under it.
    Cut out the wheel wheel's, add some Bigass Slick's, a rollcage, and a few odd's and end's, oh yeah,, Completely gut the rest of the car, including the inner door Guard's, in both the driver's and passenger door's.

13. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    Put a cut down Dana 60 out of a Furd pickup under it

[/ QUOTE ] why a dana 60 why not a 14ff lockers for the dana 60 are spendy /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but cheap for a 14ff full detroit for $320 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif vs $500 for a dana 60 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Ford's have had 60's for year's, like around $100.00 You can get one, just a choice of gear's. I'm sure there is a Machine Shop in Portland that can cut down and re-spline axle shaft's.

Gonna run a Detroit? I can get You a Detroit for a 14 bolt for $289 plus tax.

I can get You a 60 in Spokane for $86.00 plus tax, around $98.00 for the whole shebang.

15. mudhog

very true but i can get 14ff's for the same price $50-100 and the locker is lots cheaper /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The choice is Your's, it's at the track, just get a mini spool, cheaper yet than a Detroit.

17. mudhog

very very true i didn't even think of that /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif they are cheap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

14bolts are damn heavy!

I would go for a 80's camaro with a manual tranny & 12 bolt+posi rear... should be fine. Id put a 383 stroker in it... or just a built to hell 350.

19. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I had a Monza like this once. The axle housing end to end was only about 32" wide. After you get 17"x15" slick's, and wheel's about 14" wide, the axle is a real shorty!

20. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    14bolts are damn heavy!

[/ QUOTE ] very true i was just thinking of the strength of them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif