Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what would you do?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reeser, Dec 8, 2003.

1. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

ok i have 6" springs up front plus 1" from the dana 60 and a zero rate putting me at about 8" of overall lift. i have a shackle flip in the rear w/ 4" blocks. i wish to eliminate the blocks 'cause they scare me. here are my options

1. pony up and buy TC 4" (maybe 6") rears from ORD for 330
    2. buy cheapy 4" rough country rear springs for 175 new
    3. custom build some 56" chevy springs add a few long leaves, drop my shackle hanger in the rear a little and fab a longer rear shackle and add a zero rate
    4. find used rear springs
    5. ??????????

my 2 goals are to eliminate the blocks and add function. what would you do???

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

custom springs...but you should really look into some sort of traction bar setup with longer leafs and a flip..

3. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

that has crossed my mind what with the flex of the current setup. but maybe a few extra leaves could stiffen up the ride a little.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

find an industrial spring shop, have them add a leaf or two and re-curve the rest. Cheaper if you pull them and bring them down to them. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

How about the AK57 suspension from Az-Kickin?

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

take the zero rate off the front, do a shackle flip in the rear and put the zero rate into that spring pack.

j

7. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    take the zero rate off the front, do a shackle flip in the rear and put the zero rate into that spring pack.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

in theory i would have 7" front and 5" rear. my front zero rate isn't really for the lift more for the axle location.

8. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How about the AK57 suspension from Az-Kickin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Our Price: $550.00 (plus $75.00 S&H)

for that amount i could get some custom national springs made!

thanks for the option though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a d60 doesn't give an inch of lift its like 1/2 or 3/4". I'm with Jek, maybe add a long leaf to each rear pack and the zero rate, probably bring you around 6. What would I do? not lift that high but thats me.

10. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

i do enjoy the notion of having a lower center of gravity. 6" front springs are what i got a deal on so i got to make do. i don't know if i screwed up when i put my shackle flip on because i don't think i netted a full 4" lift and i'm a retard and didn't measure before and after. i've already trimmed my fenders and i'm willing to trim them even more so it's not about that. if i add 2 or maybe 3 leaves will this stiffen up my rear end too much? i think i need to drop my rear hanger brackets 2 inches on the frame. can i use leaves from 56" rear springs for the long add-a-leaves or will they not lift it enough???

i know i'm asking kind of obvious questions it's just that when i did my flip this summer i rushed through it and just made it work for the time being. so now i want to lift it the correct way. thanks for the responses. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif