Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What would you do??

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by shane74, Feb 18, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

My brother-in-law called me today about his '87 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif. He wants to sell it to me for $4500. Here's the kicker...he told me give me $150 a month till it's paid off, no interest, and you can come get it! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Here's the skinny on it;

PRO'S
    1. It's in VERY good shape body wise, NO major rust, dents, damage, interior is in great shape too.
    2. It has 3 1/2 lift and 33x12.50's on it.
    3. It has a BRAND NEW 700-R4 tranny.
    4. The axles have been completely rebuilt.

CON's
    1. The axles are 1/2 ton with 3:07 gears and an open diff in the front.
    2. The T-case is the crappy 208
    3. The eng. has a lot of milage and is pretty weak.

So, what should I do??

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

toss up between #1 and #4

what would you do with the burb? personally i dont know if i could handle two projects at once.... plus To me a truck like that isnt worth 4500 bucks.... so i guess im pretty biased. but anyway.... my vote goes to #4

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

cons out weight the pros in my opinion, a crapy t-case weak motor and lame gears /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifmake for a ghetto ride. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Have a six pack and think about spending $150 a month on stuff for your blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good deal.

Don't remember your K5's drivetrain, but I'd get the Burb, sell the Blazer, use that cash to upgrade the weak links on the Burb (or perceived weak links) which are really only the axles (get a set of 3/4 ton axles forr $500 with 4.11's and you're set /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) and use what's left for whatever you want. Pay down the Burb or upgrade it some more......

I'd do it..........don't regret selling my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif a bit.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

put that 150 a month away for 30 months, and spend 4500 on a thumpin new motor.......

6. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

do u have kids? do u need a burb? burbs r great but they arent for everybody.....if u just need something to drive theres lots cheaper ways of getting that accomplished....if u end up keeping the burb more than likely ur not gonna be happy with the gears or the motor how much will that cost ya?thats my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Those parts are not "weak"............. Are you going to do massive wheeling with this? Even if you do the gears I could see changing but the rest shoule be fine for all around duty. Sounds like a good deal if its what your looking for.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I thought the wife needed a DD not the next ttc winner??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Frank - I have a D44 front and 12 bolt rear 3:73 gears.

Shane and the rest of the crew - This would be a family hauler. No wheeling past getting us to a camping spot or up to the mountain to ski.

'fumes - Her car goes in tomorrow for a new tranny. With all of the other new parts I have put into it over the last 2 years, the powertrain will be pretty much brand new. It'll last us a long time after we get a new tranny. Prolly even long enough to be a 1st car for my daughter in a few years.

Right now, I could go either way. I must admit, if I was out searching for one, I wouldn't buy this one. I have been coveting Frank's ever since I saw it. The only other thing I would want in it is a FI 454. So I guess we probably won't get it. I just wanted to bounce the idea off a few folks first.

Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

I love my Burb, I just wish I got to drive it more. It would work well for a dd and allow you to get into your Blazer. $4500 is a bit steep, but not out of line for an 87. For $150 a month, you could do much worse. My .02
    T-roy

11. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

This is a tough one... lets see, what did I do... Buy the burb, keep the blazer, turn the blazer into a toy, start the restore on the burb to better than original (I.e. DVD player, 3" lift, 33's, rebuilt from ground up, perfect interior, etc...)

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

But your burb only cost $400 not $4500 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

13. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I say buy the 'burb and let your wife drive it, they are great kid & pet haulers and all the cool kids are doing it, and keep the blazer and you drive that or fix it up or wheel the tires off whatever turns your crank. I think its a fair deal for that 'burb and it was nice of him to offer it to you when you are looking for a new daily driver.

I have had a 'burb and a blazer at the same time and loved having one on 33's and the blazer sky high for trails only. As long as we kept the burb a driver/tow rig only and the blazer the toy we had no issue's.

14. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

too true... but I would imagine at 4500 there is a LOT less to fix! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, I think if I was you I'd spend $1500 on 1 ton axles... save $1500... buy your wife somethin nice in the $750 range... and buy lots of beer with the rest. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

16. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna agree 100% with J here... 750.00 is a helluva nice gift for the wife and between you me n fumes we can drink 750.00 in alcohol in one sitting... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

J always breaks it down simple like doesn't he? lol. Must be the jarhead in him /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    between you me n fumes we can drink 750.00 in alcohol in one sitting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm not sure whether I should be ashamed of that or not....But it's TRUE!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif always glad to help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

19. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

ahhh...never owe family...it just does not mix /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

20. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    never owe family...it just does not mix

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound advice. Right now I don't owe anyone anything ('cept 'fumes for soem tires, but he's getting paid either tonight, or tomorrow) and I like it that way. The more the wife and I think about this deal, the more we decide against it. Bad juju owing family $$ is a big part of it.